All cricket tips w/c 26th February

More
6 years 1 month ago #1 by mackem
All cricket tips w/c 26th February was created by mackem
Proteas v Australia test series starts on Thursday, will have a preview up shortly. Elsewhere NZ v ENG ODI series continues and any cricket tips this week are most welcome here

twitter: @goodforthegame

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 1 month ago #2 by mackem
Replied by mackem on topic All cricket tips w/c 26th February
SA v Aus, 1st test, starts Thursday in Durban, preview here

Really not sure what to expect from the deck so a speculative nibble at "no ton" and then Starc and Smith as top Aus first innings bat and ball

Top Aus 1st innings bat Smith at 22/10
Top Aus 1st innings bowler, Starch at 5/2
A hundred to be scored in the match? (no) at 11/2

twitter: @goodforthegame
The following user(s) said Thank You: Stoossy

More
6 years 1 month ago #3 by Brent Graham
Replied by Brent Graham on topic All cricket tips w/c 26th February
There seems to be very little series betting out other than WSB for the SA v Aus series.

I am thinking of a big strike but will mull over it tonight before posting

By the way you can now subscribe to our newsletter and my weekly best bet at this link - quick and easy www.goodforthegame.co.za/GFTG-Newsletter...er-subscritpion.html

Chat with me on Twitter - @BrentGraham

More
6 years 1 month ago - 6 years 1 month ago #4 by Couch Critic
Replied by Couch Critic on topic All cricket tips w/c 26th February
I seriously can not wait for this!

Promises to be one hell of a series between two teams with monster bowling attacks but perhaps a few question marks around their batting.

TEAMS
SA:
Markram looks to have lost a bit of his form, Elgar always a fighter. Amla for mind has lost a bit of his spark and Starc could have him in all sorts early on. AB and Faf will be key to SA's success. AB has been in and out of the team in the different formats and what the Proteas need is for De Villiers to settle into his role as the premier test batsman in the side and score the runs which is needed from someone in his position/role. The form of Quinton de Kock could also prove to be crucial. If he continues to struggle for form then SA will find it tough getting to the big totals required.

Aus:
Warner hasn't been in the best of form but he usually rallies when the task at hand is a tough one. Bancroft is not yet a proven performer and Khawaja is a bit hit-and-miss, though the SA tracks should suit his game. Smith is the gun bat who will have to chalk up a bucket load if the Aussies want to dominate the series. The two Marshes have also been in and out of the side.

On the bowling front it is difficult splitting the two sides with plenty of quality quicks. One has to say though that Lyon is a step above Maharaj.

CONDITIONS
After the mishap which was the Indian series and considering the strength of the Aus seam attack we should see balanced wickets for the series. With a good spinner and a superb three man seam attack there aren't many wickets that don't suit these Aussies. Durbs and PE haven't assisted the quick men in quite some time so nothing new expected at these two venues. Cape Town should be a good batting strip and with little moisture around in those parts it shouldn't favour the fast guys at all. Wanderers is last on the schedule so where the series stands at that stage could influence things but after the pitch horror against India the groundman will err on the side of caution here me thinks.

HOW I SEE IT PLAYING OUT
SA will hope the slower pitches aren't to the liking of the Aussie batsmen who prefer pace onto the bat. The problem is that Lyon will be licking his chops at having a go at the Proteas who themselves aren't great against good spin on a slow track.

Amla might enjoy less assistance for the quickies but I reckon his best days are behind him now (unfortunately - he is still a legend in my eyes). AB, Faf and De Kock are the key to this series for me. Pretty much in every innings SA will need solid contributions from two out of the three. AB and Faf are also the team's best players of spin so they will have a huge role to play!

Australia will look to get off to a good start as the Proteas might be caught off guard trying to adapt back to the test format.

BETS
Will post before the end of the day

Twitter: @HDiemont
Last edit: 6 years 1 month ago by Couch Critic.

More
6 years 1 month ago #5 by Stoossy
Replied by Stoossy on topic All cricket tips w/c 26th February

mackem wrote: SA v Aus, 1st test, starts Thursday in Durban, preview here

Really not sure what to expect from the deck so a speculative nibble at "no ton" and then Starc and Smith as top Aus first innings bat and ball

you can get A hundred to be scored in the in the first day ( no) for 0.85/1

More
6 years 1 month ago #6 by The Missing Link
Replied by The Missing Link on topic All cricket tips w/c 26th February
I have my doubts about AB, I think his head isn't in it anymore. Will look at runs quotes in play the whole series as my main bets but I would side with Australia if i had to. I much prefer their bowling attack and think our batsmen aren't as hungry as previous years.

More
6 years 1 month ago #7 by The Vann
Replied by The Vann on topic All cricket tips w/c 26th February
SA v Australia
For my money the batting line ups are pretty even with Smith's proven quality and current form maybe giving the Aussies an edge. On the bowling side its a no contest. One need only check the pitch maps and balls hitting the stumps stats in the recent series with India to know we are in big trouble. Virtually everything was too short and the Aussies all grew up on the short stuff. I was listening to Jeremy Fredericks recently and he explained what the problem was which he got from Charl Langeveldt who was let go as bowling coach by Gibson in November. Langeveldt said it takes many,many hours of practice to bowl fuller lengths as you have to hit the length within a foot or so ( 30.48 centimeters for for the youngsters :lol: ) and the younger prospects in the Protea's side were not prepared to practice it concentrating rather on pace and bounce. Well - you can pace and bounce all you like but in Durban, PE and recently Newlands you will be fetching from the stands.

The series batting and bowling odds seem a little short to me so I will be taking those on a match to match basis but am going for

Series result Australia 3-1 @ 6/1

More
6 years 1 month ago #8 by The Vann
First test
Top Aussie bowler 1st inn Cummins @ 3/1

More
6 years 1 month ago #9 by Brent Graham
Ok lads I have had a real go at the Aussies to win the series at 12/10 and the draw no bet option at 8/10

More
6 years 1 month ago #10 by hanrick
Replied by hanrick on topic All cricket tips w/c 26th February
Although I watch a lot of cricket I don't really bet on it. Really fancy the Aussies in this series though and have taken a solid strike on Aus to win the test series at 12/10. Smaller bet on correct score 2-1 to Australia and Mitch Marsh man of the match in the 1st test at 18/1.

Let the battle begin www.twitter.com/hanrickswart

More
6 years 1 month ago #11 by Couch Critic
Okay guys here we go...

I hear all the Aussie love loud and clear but am still a touch concerned that AB and Amla could fire. Also a few question marks around the Aus batting as well for mind.

That being said I see Aus winning the first one and after that it could be tough for the Proteas to play catch-up.
Series: Aus to win 3-0 @ 12/1

Amla fading a bit and AB's mind perhaps not completely on the job. Faf won't lack for heart and determination to give it to the old enemy.
Faf top SA series bat @ 11/2

First test:
Would have liked to back Lyon as Man of the Series but instead I will have to settle for backing him to perform in Durban.
Lyon @ 14/1 MoM

Top Aus 1st innings bat - Smith @ 22/10

More
6 years 1 month ago #12 by Couch Critic
SA have gone for the extra batting option with de Bruyn - good idea I reckon.

More
6 years 1 month ago #13 by Stoossy

Couch Critic wrote: SA have gone for the extra batting option with de Bruyn - good idea I reckon.

"Big gamble! no proper fifth bowler for Proteas. If Aussies can get Morkel and Philander into third and fourth spell, given their history of niggles, South Africa can be in a bit of trouble. Exciting times!"

More
6 years 1 month ago #14 by Couch Critic
Maharaj will have to do a lot of bowling (on his home pitch) especially in the second innings. Will be interesting to see if the Aussies look to take him on early.

With the fragile SA batting line-up I don't think the selectors really had any other option - apart from selecting Wian Mulder perhaps.

More
6 years 1 month ago #15 by Stoossy

Stoossy wrote:

mackem wrote: SA v Aus, 1st test, starts Thursday in Durban, preview here

you can get A hundred to be scored in the in the first day ( no) for 0.85/1

my only worry on this bet was the lights lol they just made it past the min 75 overs

More
6 years 1 month ago #16 by Brent Graham
Ok guys doing something I would usually do and backing a 1/4 shot

Catching some cricket during lunch and I reckon Australia are safe on this wicket, scoring runs is tough and I can only see 2 results a draw or an Aussie win and have lumped my remaining WSB balance (around 7 units) on the 1/4

I am not going to be able to watch much sport this weekend so don't mind tying up the funds

More
6 years 1 month ago #17 by Stoossy

Brent Graham wrote: Ok guys doing something I would usually do and backing a 1/4 shot

Catching some cricket during lunch and I reckon Australia are safe on this wicket, scoring runs is tough and I can only see 2 results a draw or an Aussie win and have lumped my remaining WSB balance (around 7 units) on the 1/4

I am not going to be able to watch much sport this weekend so don't mind tying up the funds

and 10 units on the series win (B) looking good

More
6 years 1 month ago #18 by Brent Graham
Early days for that one as the draw is a big runner here I think - but certainly will be confident if Aus win this one

More
6 years 1 month ago #19 by The Vann
SA 1st innings short @ 310 Full unit spread

More
6 years 1 month ago #20 by The Vann

The Vann wrote: SA 1st innings short @ 310 Full unit spread

Must be with the majority - spread down to 305 without a ball being bowled :lol:

More
6 years 1 month ago #21 by The Missing Link
Really wanted to get on unders runs after that first ball from Lyon but not quick enough. He' going to walk through our batting line up.

More
6 years 1 month ago #22 by The Missing Link
Was quoting 330.5 after the first wicket but only 275.5 now. Still think that's a long way away here and I'll have a nibble. Another nibble if I see a quote of 300 again this innings.

More
6 years 1 month ago #23 by The Missing Link

The Missing Link wrote: Was quoting 330.5 after the first wicket but only 275.5 now. Still think that's a long way away here and I'll have a nibble. Another nibble if I see a quote of 300 again this innings.

There's 300, taken a bit more of unders again. South Africa going to have to bat very well to get there.

More
6 years 1 month ago #24 by The Missing Link

The Vann wrote:

Must be with the majority - spread down to 305 without a ball being bowled :lol:

Nice one!

More
6 years 1 month ago #25 by The Vann

The Missing Link wrote:

The Vann wrote:

Nice one!

You too TML. Love tests ( only if the spread wins ) as the stop loss is 200. A lovely 148 full spread units means I can call every super rugby match wrong and still hit Monday comfortably in the black (B)

More
6 years 1 month ago #26 by Brent Graham

Brent Graham wrote: Ok guys doing something I would usually do and backing a 1/4 shot

I never watched on Sunday thank goodness as would have been sweating bullets when Markram and De Kock were going

More
6 years 1 month ago #27 by kompos
Replied by kompos on topic All cricket tips w/c 26th February
1/4 shots can be very dangerous if you are not on blood thinners