Varsity Cup Round 6

More
6 years 1 month ago #1 by Brent Graham
Varsity Cup Round 6 was created by Brent Graham
I see WSB are out with their caps so thought we may as well get the thread up early in case anyone spots early value

Tuks +7.5 v NWU
CUT +26.5 v Wits
UJ -20.5 v Madibaz
Maties -16.5 v Ikeys

My early fancy is Tuks +7.5. They have been very poor considering they were favourites at the start of the tournament but NWU have been a bit inconsistent and both sides have lost to Ikeys on the road in recent weeks.

Chat with me on Twitter - @BrentGraham
The following user(s) said Thank You: mattyc

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 1 month ago #2 by shaft
Replied by shaft on topic Varsity Cup Round 6
I don't believe Wits have it in them to hammer a side. Hope the proper books come out with a similar line.

"No team is as good or as bad as their last game."

More
6 years 1 month ago #3 by Cettas
Replied by Cettas on topic Varsity Cup Round 6
Round 6 preview from the organizers and teams:

www.varsitycup.co.za/news/varsity-cup-preview-round-six-0
The following user(s) said Thank You: Stoossy, mattyc

More
6 years 1 month ago #4 by shaft

Cettas wrote: Round 6 preview from the organizers and teams:

www.varsitycup.co.za/news/varsity-cup-preview-round-six-0

Tuks could endure some more pain without Tinus de Beer. Been their best player.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Stoossy

More
6 years 1 month ago #5 by Oracle
Replied by Oracle on topic Varsity Cup Round 6
I am of the opinion that they have the wrong favourite in the Tukkies game, however since it is kids after all I will stick to a maximum of just one unit!!

Absolutely never, ever worry about the stuff you cannot control!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Stoossy, mattyc

More
6 years 1 month ago #6 by mattyc
Replied by mattyc on topic Varsity Cup Round 6
Nothing a Maties team will want more than to put a hiding on a confident Ikeys.

Maties also score a shit load of 9 pointers, making the -16.5 closer to a traditional -13/14.5. Fancy them to run riot.

Have doubled that into Tuks +6.5. They've got to win at some point and at home vs Pukke is great time to do it. That cap seems slightly off after the Pukke played the game of their season vs NMMU last week.

More
6 years 1 month ago #7 by Rohan11
Replied by Rohan11 on topic Varsity Cup Round 6
Will be tacking Mates - onto Puk -. Tuks is not a easy team at home but they are playing really shitty rugby this season.
I will also be tacking a multiple on
CUT+
Maties-
Puk-
UJ-

More
6 years 1 month ago #8 by shaft
I've taken Pukke -5.5 @ 9/10. Don't see Tuks changing direction. Pukke team back to full strength this week.

More
6 years 1 month ago #9 by mattyc
Replied by mattyc on topic Varsity Cup Round 6
Strangely, this is only Tuks' 2nd home game since running Shimlas close in round 1 and only Ikeys 2nd away game.

Something to consider.

More
6 years 1 month ago #10 by Cettas
For the Varsity Shield Comp, I quite like WSU (-10.5).

More
6 years 1 month ago #11 by Stoossy
Replied by Stoossy on topic Varsity Cup Round 6
where is MISSING LINK ???

We need your preview @ predictions :)

More
6 years 1 month ago #12 by The Missing Link
Replied by The Missing Link on topic Varsity Cup Round 6

Stoossy wrote: where is MISSING LINK ???

We need your preview @ predictions :)

Sorry been very busy today, will see if I can get something up in time. Handicaps aren't that appealing this week on the surface however.

More
6 years 1 month ago - 6 years 1 month ago #13 by Cettas
Weather update for the Tuks game - already quite dark around Pretoria, waiting for the typical quick thunderstorm around 5pm
Last edit: 6 years 1 month ago by Cettas.

More
6 years 1 month ago #14 by The Missing Link
Here's my quick 2c.

TUKS NWU - Neither team has impressed me this year and the Tuks team looks a lot younger now than the start of the season. Having said that, Tuks always have massive depth but NWU do have some players back but every bone in my body is telling me to go the plus. I'm sitting this out.

UJ Madibaz - I didn't bet on UJ last week because I hadn't seen enough of them and I think they shown they a quality team last week. It's a big handicap though and think its pretty fair.

CUT WITS - Wits have a lot of heart I'll give them that but as far as quality goes I think they rely very heavily on the class of Humpries at 10 and Gordan at 15, they are proper players. Other than that their team doesn't excite me and if those two have a quiet game they could struggle here. Still a coinflip as to who turns up

MATIES UCT - I'm looking at a Maties bounce back after last week. UCT have been impressive, especially in the scrums but you fancy Maties to match them in that department. UCT have a pretty average backline and did get hammered by 50 points in preseason by Maties so can't have them here. Think they'll put up a fight those and confidence is everything. I'll sit this one out too.

CPUT UWC -0 Expect another hammering by UWC, they should cover the handicap but too much for me.

WSU UFH - WSU look to be a pretty decent outfit where as UFH haven't impressed me. Will take a stab here. WSU won this fixture comfortably last year and think UFH are poor this year.

RHODES UKZN - UKZN are definitely better than they were last year and Rhodes are rubbish as usual but this handicap is large for a Rhodes home game. They only went outside this size handicap vs UWC and WSU last season so think they could well stay within today.

No varsity cup bets for me this week but varsity shield bets are:
WSU-10.5
Rhodes +23.5

More
6 years 1 month ago #15 by Couch Critic
Replied by Couch Critic on topic Varsity Cup Round 6

Oracle wrote: I am of the opinion that they have the wrong favourite in the Tukkies game, however since it is kids after all I will stick to a maximum of just one unit!!

I reckon the bookies have seen enough of the crap that Tuks have dished up thus far and rightly couldn’t make them favourites even with home advantage.

Jeez these students are dishing up absolute shit (sorry no other word for it) again today and I cant believe a side can drop so dramatically from first to last. I think the suit wearers might be left wondering why they pulled Bevin Fortuin from the coaching role since he surely couldnt have done worse with this lot.

Reckon on current form Tuks would lose to a deaf and blind combination team

Twitter: @HDiemont

More
6 years 1 month ago #16 by The Missing Link

shaft wrote: I've taken Pukke -5.5 @ 9/10. Don't see Tuks changing direction. Pukke team back to full strength this week.

Good call! Thanking my lucky stars I stayed out of this one. Tuks would get hammered by UWC in this current form. Scary how bad they've become.
The following user(s) said Thank You: shaft

More
6 years 1 month ago #17 by The Missing Link
Bad day at the office.

Bit worried about Maties fitness after their last two weeks and hope it gets sorted in the next few weeks. Two games in a row now they've blown the opposition away early but in the last 30min they have looked really poor, even getting shoved over in the scrums.

More
6 years 1 month ago #18 by southpaw
Replied by southpaw on topic Varsity Cup Round 6

Couch Critic wrote:

Oracle wrote: I am of the opinion that they have the wrong favourite in the Tukkies game, however since it is kids after all I will stick to a maximum of just one unit!!

I reckon the bookies have seen enough of the crap that Tuks have dished up thus far and rightly couldn’t make them favourites even with home advantage.

Jeez these students are dishing up absolute shit (sorry no other word for it) again today and I cant believe a side can drop so dramatically from first to last. I think the suit wearers might be left wondering why they pulled Bevin Fortuin from the coaching role since he surely couldnt have done worse with this lot.

copy paste my comments on last weeks thread here.

More
6 years 1 month ago #19 by shaft

southpaw wrote:

Couch Critic wrote:

copy paste my comments on last weeks thread here.

This past weekend's super rugby results were shaky to put it lightly. Risk is everywhere.