Be careful out there mugs - do the sums

More
5 years 11 months ago - 5 years 11 months ago #1 by catsmug
South African bookies are not exactly known for their generosity. If I compare the odds that I get on sports games on my Betfair account with the odds offered locally, it really is shameful. Now there are many bets that require some sort of expertise in terms of "expert" opinions and these should, the emphasis is on should here because most sheep follow the crowd, be supplied by "professional" traders employed to make this call. Here I consider bet types such as handicap, total points scored, number of tries etc to apply.

Moving on to my gripe. There are many bets that require no study, and are absolutely totally random or at best circumstantial. These bets also have an absolute certainty about the result - you are either right or wrong. No amount of study by anyone will gain an advantage over an opponent - read here bookie vs punter. By this I refer to bets like the result of a flip of a coin in cricket. The total points in a rugby game being odd or even is another. Its random, and quite frankly, is an absolute mugs bet that no self respecting student of form should consider. The odds in these situations should also be clear, its a toss of the coin, a 50/50 and thus no rocket science in determining that even money is the formula applied. Now anything below even money relates to a bookies rake, I am dazed and amazed, and afterwards a bit crazed, to see that some bookies have as much as a 25% rake on these bets. .75/1 on odds or evens on points in a rugby match? You have to have your head read to have a bet on these type of bets.

As you go through life it’s a long, long road. There’ll be joys and sorrows too
Last edit: 5 years 11 months ago by catsmug.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Stoossy

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.