Forum Upgrade 30th May

More
4 months 2 weeks ago #1 by mackem
Forum Upgrade 30th May was created by mackem
I know things look a little strange and in some ways I feel like the man who changed the recipe for Coca Cola all those years ago but the forum upgrade was very necessary. The "Action" button is important when replying and there are now some Social Media share buttons which I hope will be useful. There are also some features which we probably don't need to be here which I will look to can.

Will look more into the config to find the best offering I can over the next few days, I know some of the guys here have been used to the same look and feel for the best part of a decade and I therefore plead for leniency as I'm no techie. If anyone has any suggestions or spots weaknesses or bugs I'll probably be delighted to hear from you at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. and I'll do my best to get it spot on.

I'm already looking into the restoration of the beer emoji / smiley or whatever it's called

Cheers

twitter: @goodforthegame
The following user(s) said Thank You: Taylor, R3V3R3NT_

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 months 2 weeks ago #2 by R3V3R3NT_
Replied by R3V3R3NT_ on topic Forum Upgrade 30th May
Grey on Grey text is pretty hard on the eyes.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ruan Fourie, Stoossy

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 months 2 weeks ago #3 by Couch Critic
Replied by Couch Critic on topic Forum Upgrade 30th May

I know things look a little strange and in some ways I feel like the man who changed the recipe for Coca Cola all those years ago but the forum upgrade was very necessary. The "Action" button is important when replying and there are now some Social Media share buttons which I hope will be useful. There are also some features which we probably don't need to be here which I will look to can.

Will look more into the config to find the best offering I can over the next few days, I know some of the guys here have been used to the same look and feel for the best part of a decade and I therefore plead for leniency as I'm no techie. If anyone has any suggestions or spots weaknesses or bugs I'll probably be delighted to hear from you at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. and I'll do my best to get it spot on.

I'm already looking into the restoration of the beer emoji / smiley or whatever it's called

Cheers



Thanks for the effort Chris! I think things look a bit fresher already so great stuff:)

My only input would be that perhaps it could be a bit more clear when you quote a previous post, ie. that the quoted post be grey scaled a bit or something (I know there is the grey strip on the side but to me it needs a bit more) as now it looks a bit similar and seems to blend into one a bit from my perspective.

Thanks for always striving to offer something great GFTG! (I would have used the beer emoji here:P )

Twitter: @HDCouchCritic

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 months 2 weeks ago #4 by bradie82
Replied by bradie82 on topic Forum Upgrade 30th May
Thanks for the upgrade Mackem.
I like the new interface, easy to navigate, like the new drop down for quote/reply but as it has been stated, the white background with the light grey writing is not eye friendly.
On top of it, not sure it is my browser but cannot see who is online, who opened a new topic (on the main page) and who gave a thank you (I love to receive thank you and know who did :D )

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 months 2 weeks ago #5 by mackem
Replied by mackem on topic Forum Upgrade 30th May
Thanks for the feedback guys, agree with it all, later today I'll go in again and see if I can crack whats mentioned above

twitter: @goodforthegame

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 months 2 weeks ago #6 by Quill
Replied by Quill on topic Forum Upgrade 30th May

mackem wrote: Thanks for the feedback guys, agree with it all, later today I'll go in again and see if I can crack whats mentioned above

Is this you, Chris? (Wink)

Exactly, I cannot see whose post it is.
Then, I clicked "Quote" from the Actions dropdown menu and nothing came up.
I clicked "Reply" and your post appears here.

Otherwise, thank you for the effort you put in (Beer).

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 months 2 weeks ago #7 by mackem
Replied by mackem on topic Forum Upgrade 30th May

Quill wrote:

mackem wrote: Thanks for the feedback guys, agree with it all, later today I'll go in again and see if I can crack whats mentioned above

Is this you, Chris? (Wink)

Exactly, I cannot see whose post it is.
Then, I clicked "Quote" from the Actions dropdown menu and nothing came up.
I clicked "Reply" and your post appears here.

Otherwise, thank you for the effort you put in (Beer).


I'm hoping quote and the missing "post by user name" is solved mate

twitter: @goodforthegame

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 months 2 weeks ago #8 by Quill
Replied by Quill on topic Forum Upgrade 30th May

mackem wrote:

Quill wrote:

mackem wrote: Thanks for the feedback guys, agree with it all, later today I'll go in again and see if I can crack whats mentioned above

Is this you, Chris? (Wink)

Exactly, I cannot see whose post it is.
Then, I clicked "Quote" from the Actions dropdown menu and nothing came up.
I clicked "Reply" and your post appears here.

Otherwise, thank you for the effort you put in (Beer).


I'm hoping quote and the missing "post by user name" is solved mate

Username is on.
Thank you.
"Quote" is not.
Also, how about the avatars?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 months 2 weeks ago #9 by mackem
Replied by mackem on topic Forum Upgrade 30th May

Quill wrote:

mackem wrote:

Quill wrote:

mackem wrote: Thanks for the feedback guys, agree with it all, later today I'll go in again and see if I can crack whats mentioned above

Is this you, Chris? (Wink)

Exactly, I cannot see whose post it is.
Then, I clicked "Quote" from the Actions dropdown menu and nothing came up.
I clicked "Reply" and your post appears here.

Otherwise, thank you for the effort you put in (Beer).


I'm hoping quote and the missing "post by user name" is solved mate

Username is on.
Thank you.
"Quote" is not.
Also, how about the avatars?


I can quote and see avatars Quill, will have to investigate further mate

twitter: @goodforthegame

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 months 2 weeks ago #10 by Stoossy
Replied by Stoossy on topic Forum Upgrade 30th May
hurts my eyes 2

also i get the feeling that the chat should be on the left add on the right

ah i am sure ill get used to it but gee its KAK

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 months 2 weeks ago #11 by Two Left Feet
Replied by Two Left Feet on topic Forum Upgrade 30th May
What do you think of adding like a chat room kind of feature? Guys can log on during games and give their thoughts/plays live in play? I'm not sure if the platform has that kind of function but thought it would be an added plus for this site...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 months 2 weeks ago #12 by sunnyskies
Replied by sunnyskies on topic Forum Upgrade 30th May
I'm sorry but I'm struggling with the whole look with the text and the colours. I found the old layout way easier to read.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 months 2 weeks ago #13 by shaft
Replied by shaft on topic Forum Upgrade 30th May

sunnyskies wrote: I'm sorry but I'm struggling with the whole look with the text and the colours. I found the old layout way easier to read.


I have to agree...

"No team is as good or as bad as their last game."

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 months 2 weeks ago #14 by kt6747
Replied by kt6747 on topic Forum Upgrade 30th May
One thing from myside and don't know if my side, but when clicked on topic, would take me to last post, now takes me to first and have to scroll to last. Not sure if possible to change that or not, otherwise its cool.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 months 2 weeks ago #15 by mackem
Replied by mackem on topic Forum Upgrade 30th May
Thanks again for the feedback lads.

The long and the short of it is that it was very necessary to upgrade the whole of the system, something I'd been putting off for too long tbh. Unfortunately the original template with the look and feel we were all familiar with cannot be used on the latest version of our overall installation and what you see right now is pretty much the new default.

However it is possible to change things through the code, something which is pushing the boundaries of my knowledge but one way or another we will get it back to something like it was or at the very least something easier on the eye..

Appreciate your patience whilst this gets sorted
Cheers

twitter: @goodforthegame
The following user(s) said Thank You: kt6747, Taylor

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 months 2 weeks ago #16 by Ruan Fourie
Replied by Ruan Fourie on topic Forum Upgrade 30th May
Mackem, it's good that you upgraded the forum software but whew, I have to agree with the other people. It's very difficult to read currently.

I don't know if you'd be willing to change the forum software but we use Discourse over at Most Epic Win (a video gaming forum, not sport betting). It's very customisable and easy to work with. I like that I can switch it to a dark theme so people can use the theme that they like the most.

It's completely free and integrates with a lot of other software. May be worth looking at.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mackem

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 months 2 weeks ago #17 by Brent Graham
Replied by Brent Graham on topic Forum Upgrade 30th May
Guys thanks so much for the input, Chris is working around the clock on this and the comments and advise are much appreciated

Got the makings of a nice forum comp for the World Cup so we want the forum to be flying!

Chat with me on Twitter - @BrentGraham

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 months 2 weeks ago #18 by catsmug
Replied by catsmug on topic Forum Upgrade 30th May
What about a RED background mate? You have some experience of this, certainly got the tongues wagging way back when....

A word to the wise. We are all creatures of habit and massive changes like what we are seeing here will take some getting used to. Give it some time, before you know it you wont remember how the old forum looked.

Nice job lads a nice fresh feel to this

If there are odds offered, I'm interested

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 months 2 weeks ago #19 by mackem
Replied by mackem on topic Forum Upgrade 30th May

catsmug wrote: What about a RED background mate? You have some experience of this, certainly got the tongues wagging way back when....

A word to the wise. We are all creatures of habit and massive changes like what we are seeing here will take some getting used to. Give it some time, before you know it you wont remember how the old forum looked.

Nice job lads a nice fresh feel to this


Shot Cats, that was some forum and much easier to figure out than this beast but I''m getting there bru :P ;)

twitter: @goodforthegame

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 months 1 week ago #20 by sunnyskies
Replied by sunnyskies on topic Forum Upgrade 30th May
Looking way better now. Thanks !!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 months 1 week ago #21 by Thrasher6
Replied by Thrasher6 on topic Forum Upgrade 30th May
I'm having a problem uploading an avatar picture....tried it on multiple devices so it's not my end. Can you take a look...cheers
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 months 1 week ago #22 by mackem
Replied by mackem on topic Forum Upgrade 30th May

Thrasher6 wrote: I'm having a problem uploading an avatar picture....tried it on multiple devices so it's not my end. Can you take a look...cheers


Will take a look on Monday and get back to you mate, thanks for letting me know, still ironing out some issues.

twitter: @goodforthegame

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 months 1 week ago #23 by catsmug
Replied by catsmug on topic Forum Upgrade 30th May
I am getting mails highlighting replies to a post that have no content

If there are odds offered, I'm interested

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 months 1 week ago #24 by mackem
Replied by mackem on topic Forum Upgrade 30th May
Guys a bit more info concerning the feedback.

Post Ordering Display - I have set the default to newest first (at the top). If you want to change back to oldest you can edit your profile when logged and make a change in the settings specific to you which also includes a yes / now for topic reply subscriptions

Avatars - Thrasher - I see your problem, I created a test account and also got upload failed when I tried to put a new avatar in. Will need to check this out further, can't be much of an issue but battling to fins a setting that might need changing to solve so will get my head into support documentation later.

Cats - Can you forward me one of the emails you refer to when you get chance mate and I'll have a look.

twitter: @goodforthegame
The following user(s) said Thank You: Thrasher6

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 months 1 week ago #25 by R3V3R3NT_
Replied by R3V3R3NT_ on topic Forum Upgrade 30th May
Looking better and better with each tweak good work mate!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 months 1 week ago #26 by mackem
Replied by mackem on topic Forum Upgrade 30th May
Thanks Rv3, much appreciated,

Still quite a few things to iron out including the avatar issues. I've put a support request in late last night and hopefully will have a solution for that soon.

twitter: @goodforthegame

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 months 1 week ago - 4 months 1 week ago #27 by R3V3R3NT_
Replied by R3V3R3NT_ on topic Forum Upgrade 30th May
After a few days I think the post ordering is very counter intuitive. As we naturally read up to down. To scroll down to find a start point only to go up again is just not right. I get you can edit yourself but someone new wont have that knowledge. I think default the other way and if someone wants to change up so be it.
Last edit: 4 months 1 week ago by R3V3R3NT_.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 months 1 week ago #28 by mackem
Replied by mackem on topic Forum Upgrade 30th May

R3V3R3NT_ wrote: After a few days I think the post ordering is very counter intuitive. As we naturally read up to down. To scroll down to find a start point only to go up again is just not right. I get you can edit yourself but someone new wont have that knowledge. I think default the other way and if someone wants to change up so be it.


Good point R3V,

Anyone else with a view on this?

twitter: @goodforthegame

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 months 1 week ago #29 by shaft
Replied by shaft on topic Forum Upgrade 30th May
I second that

"No team is as good or as bad as their last game."

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 months 1 week ago #30 by Quill
Replied by Quill on topic Forum Upgrade 30th May

mackem wrote:

R3V3R3NT_ wrote: After a few days I think the post ordering is very counter intuitive. As we naturally read up to down. To scroll down to find a start point only to go up again is just not right. I get you can edit yourself but someone new wont have that knowledge. I think default the other way and if someone wants to change up so be it.


Good point R3V,

Anyone else with a view on this?

I'd have gone with the flow, but since you asked...
I prefer the last post down too.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 months 1 week ago #31 by bradie82
Replied by bradie82 on topic Forum Upgrade 30th May
Same for me
I did the change in the settings already to have the last message down

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 months 1 week ago #32 by mackem
Replied by mackem on topic Forum Upgrade 30th May
Thanks guys, have switched it back so latest post is at bottom

twitter: @goodforthegame
The following user(s) said Thank You: kt6747

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Powered by Kunena Forum