Cycling : Milan - San Remo

More
5 years 1 week ago #1 by The Vann
Cycling : Milan - San Remo was created by The Vann
In road cycling the main events are the three Grand Tours followed by the five Monuments of cycling. The Monuments are the oldest, longest and most prestigious one day races on the calendar and are targeted by the top cyclists every season. Saturday see's this seasons first monument Milan - San Remo.
The race is run over 291km and is the most sprinter friendly Monument. Seven of the last ten have been won by sprinters. The race is defined by its length and the finish - The Poggio climb of 3.7km at nearly 4% with a small kick at 8% peaking with 5.4km to go ( 3.5km downhill and 2km flat to finish ). Last year Nibali crested this climb with a 12 second lead and hung on to win. The race can also be affected by bad weather - when Hinault won there were only 13 finishers. Weather looks good for tomorrow though.
The Contenders
Sagan 9/2 - Was ill and missed last 5 days of training before Tirreno last week. rumoured to have lost 4kg when ill.
Viviani 5/1 - Was led out for bunch sprint behind Nibali last year but ran out of legs and finished outside top 10
Ewan 6/1 - Finished second last year
Alaphilippe - 6/1 Finished 3rd behind Kwiatkowski and Sagan two years ago.
Gaviria 10/1 - Last attempted in 2017 and finished 5th
Bennett 10/1 - Don't think he has managed a top 50 yet. May have to lead out Sagan.
Kristoff 15/1 - Winner in 2014 and 4th last year. May have to lead out Gaviria.
Demare 20/1 - Winner in 2016 and 3rd last year.
Balance over 20/1.
My Picks
Sagan has fitness doubts/Viviani does he make the climb with enough strength left/Alaphilippe is he fast enough/Gaviria looks more powerful now then in 2017 so does he make the climb?
Win
Ewan @ 13/2
Win and Top 3
Bennett @ 10/1
The following user(s) said Thank You: mackem

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 1 week ago #2 by mackem
Replied by mackem on topic Cycling : Milan - San Remo
Many thanks Vann, I backed Sam Bennett a while a go thinking / hoping Sagan may not be ready for this, still a chance that could be the case although Sagan's very presence , as you state, could see Bennett the back up for Bora rather than the top man.

twitter: @goodforthegame

More
5 years 6 days ago #3 by The Vann
Replied by The Vann on topic Cycling : Milan - San Remo
Have added two match bets which I would have called choice but am being offered better
Van Avermaet/Kwiatkowski @ 21/20
Nizzolo/Van Poppel @ 15/10
The following user(s) said Thank You: kt6747

More
5 years 5 days ago #4 by Couch Critic
Replied by Couch Critic on topic Cycling : Milan - San Remo
What a ride from Ala P! Sagan wins a sprint like that 99 times out of a hundred but probably just lacking that last bit of form. But jeez that was top stuff from the versatile Frenchie.

In fairness I must say it really is a fogettable race apart from the last 30mins or so which does mean its nowhere near my favourite event.

Twitter: @HDiemont