• Brent Graham
  • Brent Graham's Avatar Topic Author
  • Away
More
4 years 10 months ago #51 by Brent Graham
Replied by Brent Graham on topic Cycling: The Giro 2019 - bring it on baby
2.5 units down

0.5 unit Carthy top 3 40'1 and Da La Parte top 3 30/1 Sunbet

My main bets 2 units Carapaz/Formolo 13/10 and 2 units Carthy/Tangert 9/10 at Sportingbet

Unfortunately they don't allow the double and it is shorter elsewhere

Chat with me on Twitter - @BrentGraham

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 10 months ago #52 by The Vann
Replied by The Vann on topic Cycling: The Giro 2019 - bring it on baby

kt6747 wrote: Hi Vann

I am just asking, you don't think the climbing from 22km out will affect Campenearts?

Also do you not think the fall Roglic took won't have taken something out of him, its the first time he hasn't had the team protecting him? |For me it was the first time he stands a chance of been beaten?

Sorry for the questions

Word is Campenaerts will be going ( as opposed to someone like Izagirre who I believe is being rested but would be suited to this course ). The first climb is 5km at around 6% followed by 4km flat with final 2km 8%. Weather just through and it is light rain which was supposed to hold off for half the day. Made my pick based on a clean run for Campenaerts - Did not expect him to lose more then 30sec over the 5km climb which gave me my +- 1 min for the last 2km.
The early rain has probably put paid to this bet as it will affect the speed on the flat more than on the climbs.

More
4 years 10 months ago #53 by kt6747
Replied by kt6747 on topic Cycling: The Giro 2019 - bring it on baby

The Vann wrote:

kt6747 wrote: Hi Vann

I am just asking, you don't think the climbing from 22km out will affect Campenearts?

Also do you not think the fall Roglic took won't have taken something out of him, its the first time he hasn't had the team protecting him? |For me it was the first time he stands a chance of been beaten?

Sorry for the questions

Word is Campenaerts will be going ( as opposed to someone like Izagirre who I believe is being rested but would be suited to this course ). The first climb is 5km at around 6% followed by 4km flat with final 2km 8%. Weather just through and it is light rain which was supposed to hold off for half the day. Made my pick based on a clean run for Campenaerts - Did not expect him to lose more then 30sec over the 5km climb which gave me my +- 1 min for the last 2km.
The early rain has probably put paid to this bet as it will affect the speed on the flat more than on the climbs.

Thanks Vann, appreciate the reply.

More
4 years 10 months ago #54 by kt6747
Well done Vann, great call. You almost got the win as well if it wasn't for the poor bike change. Nicely done.
The following user(s) said Thank You: The Vann

• Brent Graham
  • Away
More
4 years 10 months ago #55 by Brent Graham
Well played Vann, I didn't think Camp could push Rog like that

Carapaz lands but despite a good ride by Carthy Tangert was strong and a 0.5 unit loss on the stage for me

2 flat stages to come and then at last - the mountains

More
4 years 10 months ago - 4 years 10 months ago #56 by The Vann
Usually check outrights over a rest day so just some thoughts
Maglia Rosa
Oomen will now be the protected Sunweb rider. Finished 9th last year - now 19th. Six guys in front of him are not contenders but Yates and Lopez are behind him. So currently 15th. Might be worth a shot at 2/1 top 10. Geoghegan Hart currently 31st ( 10 guys in front not top 10 so effectively 21st at present ) and said knee still bothering him. We have a rest day followed by two flat stages. Already invested in top 10 @ 18/10 but if he posts "Knee is improving" over next three days the 7/2 top 10 is good.
Mountains
Still two flat stages before we get there so no calls
Points have been allocated the same over the past few years. GC/Mountain guys can get to around 160 tops. We have Ackermann on 150 and Demare on 98. Next two stages are sprint and then there is one left. Ackermann is 25 but this is his first Grand Tour and it is backloaded with mountains. Demare needs around three top 6 finishes to clear the GC guys in the points comp and he is old enough to get to the finish.
Several beers on
Points Demare @ 5/1
Young Rider
Lopez is only 1min 17sec behind Oomen whom he beat by 9min last year. If you can find Oomen top3 in this comp - take it.
Teams
Hard to see past Moviestar so no bets at present.
Last edit: 4 years 10 months ago by The Vann.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brent Graham, kt6747

• Brent Graham
  • Away
More
4 years 10 months ago #57 by Brent Graham
Carapaz matchbet got me almost square for the ITT -3 units overall

Sitting out the next 2 days.

Can't wait for the mountains, Roglic team going to be put under massive pressure - I have no doubt that come MTF's Roglic can handle anyone but his problem will be the likes of Astana and Movi putting dangerous riders in the early breaks - it would not surprise me were we to get a shock winner of this race along the lines of Pereiro in the TDF many years ago

More
4 years 10 months ago #58 by Couch Critic
Replied by Couch Critic on topic Cycling: The Giro 2019 - bring it on baby
I'm having one last shot at Viviani gents. Closest finish to his home town - family and friends should be there to cheer him on. Hasn'y been in vitage form but I reckon that extra mental push for the stage hopefully does the trick. Win @ 2/1.

Then with Gaviria out his 2IC should be given the chance to dice for the line (despite the team being on Pink duty).
Top 3 - Consanni @ 9/1

Twitter: @HDiemont

More
4 years 10 months ago #59 by The Vann
Unable to do a Brent on it. Sprint finish just not the same without a runner or two. Never know how a youngsters legs are going to be after the rest day so fancy the two older guys Vivianni and Ewan.
Win only
Ewan @ 4/1
Matchbet Double
Vivianni over Ackermann into
Cimolai over Belletti @ 23/10
The following user(s) said Thank You: mackem

More
4 years 10 months ago #60 by mackem
Replied by mackem on topic Cycling: The Giro 2019 - bring it on baby
Thanks Vann, I'm with Vivianni at 16/10 was thinking of Ewan or maybe even Demare for tomorrow. Like everyone else I'm keen for the big slopes later this week. Enjoy

twitter: @goodforthegame

• Brent Graham
  • Away
More
4 years 10 months ago #61 by Brent Graham
Sticking my head out today - Demare at 3/1 Sporting - looked strongest yesterday (Ackermann excluded as he crashed, hard to see him being at his best today) and slightly tougher sprint won't worry him

I smell mountain air lads

More
4 years 10 months ago #62 by The Vann
Made the match bet double yesterday but nothing in that market today. Sticking with Mackem's van Dijk theory as applied to cycling
Win
Ewan @ 3/1

More
4 years 10 months ago #63 by kt6747
Thanks Vann, was able to get online 8km from the end.

Hardlines Brent

More
4 years 10 months ago #64 by The Vann
Alright Boyo's - Mountains tomorrow But first - promised KOM post.
Points are allocated the same as last year when Froome won by taking the last few HC climbs. Second was a chap by the name of Ciccone - who currently leads the comp. He can climb so only a team who has lost a GC guy can contest. This is Sunweb and they do not have a guy who can match Ciccone in the mountains. Therefor, either Ciccone wins the comp or the race winner scrapes past him - as Froome did last year. Personally, I don't see a Froome in this race so was thinking - no bet. Check this out at Sunbet
KOM
Top 3 Finish
Roglic @ 13/4
Hows About Dem Odds
The following user(s) said Thank You: mackem, kt6747

More
4 years 10 months ago - 4 years 10 months ago #65 by mackem
That looks a great bet Vann and well done with Ewan yesterday,

Thursday's stage, two long shots from the breakaway for me. I think GC will battles will come Friday and Saturday.

Sebastian Henao at 125/1, think Inneos will be represented in the break and he could be the man and my other rider is Gavazzi at 100/1.

I might include Alexis Vuillermoz but 18/1 much shorter than I hoped for when I studied this yesterday. Same goes for Ion Izzagirre

Last edit: 4 years 10 months ago by mackem.

More
4 years 10 months ago - 4 years 10 months ago #66 by The Vann
No word from Ineos on Geoghegan Hart - still think that 4/1 Top 10 at WSB is worth a shout. Will follow his progress with interest today.
Stage 12
Expect many break volunteers today and, as Mackem points out, GC may be looking at Friday and Saturday so break should stay. A matchbet caught my attention today. Vervaeke should handle the Cat 1 better then Bakelants which means the only way this does not land is if Bakelants makes break and Vervaeke does not.
Matchbet
Vervaeke over Bakelants @ 15/10
and the days break beers going on
Masnada @ 37/1
Vervaeke @ 67/1
Knox @ 80/1
Last edit: 4 years 10 months ago by The Vann.

More
4 years 10 months ago #67 by The Vann
Got zip in the break and Bakelants is in it which sinks my matchbet. A few beers in play for the watch
Polanc @ 8/1
Dunbar @ 20/1
Gasparrotto @ 33/1
Gavazzi @ 40/1 - Nice one Mackem

• Brent Graham
  • Away
More
4 years 10 months ago #68 by Brent Graham
Too busy to even have a bet yesterday but watched the stage last night and as predicted the climbers have to gamble and given the weakness of Roglic team that should make for a great race.

Today's stage is a brutal and will signal my 1st real salvo against the bookies - bets to follow

• Brent Graham
  • Away
More
4 years 10 months ago #69 by Brent Graham
My 1st long term - 5 units Carapaz top 3 at 9/4 Sunbet
He was 4th last year, looks in great nick and I think this race is far more open than the betting suggests

Todays stage - win only
The stage could go either way as a strong break will eventually get away. Chavez looks strong and could go in the break but I also think he can win from a select group. I also have a sneaky feeling he could yet emerge as team leader.

1 unit Chavez win at 18/1 Sporting

0.5 units Majka win 22/1 WSB - looked so strong yesterday and won't be chased down too hard

0.5 units Bilbao win at 50/1 WSB - I am banking on the fact that he sat up yesterday with today in mind - expect him in the break although may have to work for Lopez if he does make it

Match bets
5 units Carapaz over Yates 12/10
2 units Carapaz/Yates Vuillermoz/Jungels at just shy of 7/2 WSB

More
4 years 10 months ago #70 by mackem
Also on Majka at 22/1 Brent, like you thought he looked strong yesterday.

More
4 years 10 months ago #71 by mackem
Will also have beer money on Sebastien Henao at 100/1 as a potential breakaway man, didn't get in the move I wanted him to be in yesterday

More
4 years 10 months ago #72 by Couch Critic
Finally we hit the mountains!!

Can't wait for this stage...

Haha Beeg really not liking Yates it seems! :)

Movistar and Astana flexed their muscles yesterday and along with MS and Bahrain they will have Roglic working for every inch of uphill all the way to Verona.

I will start by saying that I don't give team mates a shot today - reckon it will be all hands to the pump to set an incredible pace and try put Jumbo under as much pressure as possible. The likes of Jon Izaguirre, Chavez, Nieve and Pozzovivo are all contenders for a stage like today but I reckon they won't be riding for themselves. Carapaz has the advantage of possibly being seen as the team leader and Movistar like having two options high up on GC so he will be allowed to ride for himself.

If a seriously strong climber gets in the break they might just stay away. So I prefer taking an option who could either hang with the GC guys and then break near the end and be given some freedom or get in the break.

My picks:

Ivan Ramiro SOSA @ 14/1 (We have racing at altitude and a young Colombian racing for a team who are hunting stage wins to try and restore some pride) .

Davide FORMOLO @ 24/1 (I'm hoping he purposely lost some time to be allowed some freedom to go for a win).

Bauke MOLLEMA @ 85/1 (Will go deep with the favourites and he might just have a shot at winning the dash to the line).

More
4 years 10 months ago #73 by The Vann
Was sidetracked by some work yesterday and made a string of stupid bets. Ended up losing over double my normal stage budget. With age does not always come wisdom.
With Couch in that the big teams will burn Roglic's squad early on which means break does not get to run. Taking the two guys who looked the best yesterday.
Win only
Lopez @ 23/4
Landa @ 27/2

More
4 years 10 months ago #74 by mackem
No joy on Friday but loved the stage.

Stage 14 Saturday, short and brutal. Going with Carapaz at 13/2 and backing up with nibbles on Chavez (33/1) and Sivakov (40/1)

Enjoy ...!

• Brent Graham
  • Away
More
4 years 10 months ago #75 by Brent Graham
Just realized the matchbet double landed as well, never saw either Vuillermoz or Jungels finish so a good day, got school rugby now but luckily a late start to the stage and will post bets later

• Brent Graham
  • Away
More
4 years 10 months ago #76 by Brent Graham
Ok lads 2 bets for today

Nieve 18/1 at Sunbet 1 units - reckon he will be in break and could be good enough to hold on
3 unit pozzivivo/ciccone at 12:10 wsb

The following user(s) said Thank You: kt6747

More
4 years 10 months ago #77 by mackem
Impressive from Carapaz, delighted with that. On to Sunday, fancy Quickstep will target this.

Jungels 25/1
Capecchi 66/1

Then adding our old friend Thomas De Gendt at 16/1.

Originally I had Gallopin down for this stage but he has had a go last 2 days which surprised me when this looks a more suitable profile. Rather nervously I've left him out.

More
4 years 10 months ago #78 by Couch Critic
Lovely one on Carapaz Chris! Brent will also be loving his Top3 pick looking sublime atm.

Two proper mountain stages gone and we've already clearly seen who's who in terms of climbing ability. Carapaz and Lopez to me the very best of the lot and then Nibali, Roglic and Landa fighting it out just behind them. The big question is exactly how much Nibs and Roglic have left in the tank which we haven't seen yet.

I reckon the long flat today points to a break with good climbers but who also have some strenght for the flat and speed for the finish.

Masnada @ 24/1 (lively thus far + local)
Eddie Dunbar @ 29/1 (surely Ineos needs a performance)
Vuillermoz @ 30/1

More
4 years 10 months ago #79 by The Vann
Oomen joined Modolo and Geoghegan Hart in the crashes column yesterday taking my last Giro outright with him. I am unable to decide whether yesterday was weakness from Roglic or the greatest bit of cycling strategy I have seen in years. Time will tell. Just can't make a bet recently so apologies in advance to Mackem if this buggers up his day
de Gendt @ 16/1
Capecchi @ 66/1
Mccarthy @ 66/1

• Brent Graham
  • Away
More
4 years 10 months ago #80 by Brent Graham
Great call Mackem - I came pretty close to backing him but decided outright interest was enough and no joy with my match bet

Really tough stage to pick a winner today as the open betting suggests

Gone with
1 units Bilboa 14/1 (Holly)
1 unit Nieve 20/1 (Sun) - worried he comes home the day after I had him
0.5 units Capecchi 66/1 (Holly)

More
4 years 10 months ago #81 by southpaw
Replied by southpaw on topic Cycling: The Giro 2019 - bring it on baby
Been watching and taken for an interest -

Yates 8/1
Nibali 11/2

For an interest in running with Sunbet

More
4 years 10 months ago #82 by The Vann
Some rest day musings. Tomorrow's Queen stage has had the high climb removed and the stage has been shortened by 30km. The last serious Giro climb - The Mortirolo - is still in though and tops around 28km from the finish. I find that climbs need to be over 9% to make a serious GC difference and this climb is 12km at 11%.
Maglia Rosa
Earlier this season Carapaz lost 54sec to Alaphilippe over a 12km flat ITT. In the normal course of business Roglic should be 60-70sec better then him over Sunday's 17km ITT. The 47sec Carapaz has at present is not enough.This jersey probably to be decided over tomorrow's big climb.
King of the Mountains
Ciccone is still climbing well and only needs a few points on Wednesday and Saturday's early climbs.
Points Comp
Demare leads by 13 with Thursday's sprint stage points being 50/35/25. The problem for Bora will be chasing down the break but Ackerman seems more popular in the peloton than Demare so they may get help.
Young Rider
Sivakov leads Lopez by 7sec. Can't say Lopez has impressed me and he will need 30-40sec on Sivakov before the final ITT. Tomorrow's big climb will probably determine this comp as well.
Teams
Done and dusted.
Nothing stands out on he betting side but I'm not wasting my research so have taken the following acca
Carapaz/Ackerman/Ciccone/Moviestar @ 7/1

More
4 years 10 months ago #83 by mackem
I'm with Astana on Tuesday, Lopez at 15/2 and just in case Izagirre gets up the road and doesn't get called back I've put him in at 50/1. Should be a cracking stage

• Brent Graham
  • Away
More
4 years 10 months ago #84 by Brent Graham
With you on those Mackem and will throw in Sosa at 25/1 from the break

Battling to find betting value at the moment and keeping stakes small with a unit on MAL and 0.5 on the other pair

More
4 years 10 months ago #85 by The Vann
GC probably only starts on the Mortirolo as the other climbs are not steep enough. Expecting several break volunteers today and hoping they stay away.
Win
Carthy @ 24/1
Sosa @ 33/1
Vuillermoz @ 79/1
and 1-3
O Connor @ 40/1

More
4 years 10 months ago - 4 years 10 months ago #86 by Couch Critic
Sorry for the late post guys.

I agree that the break has a chance. Also I reckon descending could be more important than climbing for the GC on this stage.

Bets:
Dombrowski @ 30/1
Formolo @ 41/1
Masnada @ 43/1

Then call me crazy but I reckon Roglic goes well today and Nibali is the king of going downhill.
Roglic over Landa @ 19/20
Nibali over Carapaz @ 8/10

Last edit: 4 years 10 months ago by Couch Critic.

More
4 years 10 months ago #87 by The Vann
And there we have it boyo's. As per my very first post - the absolute worst Grand Tour route in over 20 years. Except for the points jersey all are settled - crashes and bronchitis ala Pinot excepted. Nothing left to seperate GC riders and even the last ITT now meaningless. Will be out for most of the day tomorrow but will take the best price I can find on Tommy G for the stage.

More
4 years 10 months ago #88 by Couch Critic
Well so much for Roglic keeping things tidy yesterday - the Sharks munched him for lunch!

I had Masnada and Joe Dom in the mix but they couldn't pull off the win. Back to the drawing board and having a shot at a few breakaway contenders.

Brambilla @ 32/1
Kangert @ 34/1
Conti @ 61/1
O'Connor @ 100/1

• Brent Graham
  • Away
More
4 years 10 months ago #89 by Brent Graham
Today could be an interesting stage

Sticking with yesterdays picks and a unit on

Lopez 16/1 WSB
Sosa 18/1 WSB

and my 1st chunky match bet for a while

5 units Lopez/Carthy 12/10 WSB

More
4 years 10 months ago #90 by mackem
Wasn't sure where to go with this stage but first thought was to give Lopez another go so with BG on that one. Want another interest and following Couch with Kangert.

More
4 years 10 months ago #91 by The Vann
Not sure the break stays today - will be determined by how many riders get in. BM with Nibali and MS with Yates may fancy a stage win here as their teams have not registered yet and could assist Moviestar with chase. Managed nil in a 21 man break yesterday so can't do any worse today
De Gendt @ 18/1
Capecchi @ 80/1
Benedetti @ 250/1 ( Not sure why his odds so long?)
Gavazzi @ 500/1
Whats left of the peloton will probably ride in together at the end so this bet should be choice
Zivakov over Mollema @ 17/10

More
4 years 10 months ago #92 by mackem
Friday's stage, there are worse 100/1 shots than Gavazzi imo.

Could contest the sprint in which case would need plenty of luck with Demare and Ackermann still in the race but perhaps he will go in the break and just maybe the tired teams of the sprinters might misjudge the catch

• Brent Graham
  • Away
More
4 years 10 months ago #93 by Brent Graham
Match bet arriving ensured a profit yesterday but it was seriously close

Following Mackem today (I think break has a good chance) and throwing in Ventosa at 125/1 - half a unit on each

More
4 years 10 months ago #94 by The Vann
Think break has a chance. FDJ certainly won't chase so depends how much help Bora can get from a tired peloton.
Cima @ 89/1
Serry @ 109/1

More
4 years 10 months ago #95 by Couch Critic
Jeez I really needed a win yesterday - had Conti, Brambilla and Kangert in the break and got bugger all from it!!

Think I'll sit this stage out lads.

• Brent Graham
  • Away
More
4 years 10 months ago #96 by Brent Graham
Wow bookies must have cleaned up the last 2 days - had never heard of either winner

• Brent Graham
  • Away
More
4 years 10 months ago #97 by Brent Graham
and just realised Vann had him - brilliant Vann - hope you watched that live!

More
4 years 10 months ago #98 by mackem
Great call on Thursday Vann :beer x 89

More
4 years 10 months ago #99 by mackem
Battling to fathom how this might pan out again for Friday, settled on Simon Yates at 16/1, Hail Mary's on Jungels at 40/1 and Capecchi at 125/1 with Quickstep still looking for a stage.

• Brent Graham
  • Away
More
4 years 10 months ago #100 by Brent Graham
Really tough stage - going

0.5 unit Sosa 20/1
1 unit Hamilton 33/1
0.5 unit Capecchi 125/1