Wimbledon 2023

More
11 months 4 weeks ago #51 by Quill
Replied by Quill on topic Wimbledon 2023

Chiefie wrote:

Quill wrote: Cerundolo vs Lehecka

Cerundolo is not just a clay courter.

Last year he played a very good match against Nadal at Wimbledon, winning a set.

He reached the quarter-finals in Miami.
Last week he won the title in Eastbourne.

Lehecka is mediocre on grass and hasn't done anything of note since the beginning of the year at the Australian Open and Doha.

This is a great opportunity for Cerundolo to reach round three here.

Bet: Cerundolo @1.88

Cerundolo losing this 3-0. He's hot garbage. Sorry Quill.

Yup... shocking :pinch:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 months 4 weeks ago #52 by Quill
Ben Shelton vs Laslo Djere

We all know by now that Shelton's serve is powerful and he takes risks even on the second serve.
In the first round he fired 22 aces.

Djere improved his serve a lot and reached levels that were unthinkable a few years ago.
In the last few months he fired more aces than Rublev, Otte or Medvedev, and in the first round he fired 15 aces against Cressy.

Bet: 30+ aces @2.25

More
11 months 4 weeks ago #53 by Laokai
Replied by Laokai on topic Wimbledon 2023
Quick warning before Murray-Tsitsipas:

As mentioned here, Tsitsipas’ focus may have drifted from tennis of late, and his season isn’t great anyways.
Murray has all the tools in his shed to punish the Greek, but in order to do so he needs to be in top physical shape.
I’ve got a little feeling that he isn’t fit, so I think the odds are slightly deceiving here.

I’m not betting on anything here, but if you twisted my arm I’d be on Tsitty, even with the crowd against him.

It could be a good battle though, so enjoy the show :)

Back tomorrow with more bets!

More
11 months 4 weeks ago #54 by Chiefie
Replied by Chiefie on topic Wimbledon 2023

Quill wrote: Adrian Mannarino vs Daniil Medvedev

Mannarino is one of the more in-form grass-court players on the tour. He made a couple of quarterfinals and the final in Mallorca last week. He wasn’t fully fit in the final against Chris Eubanks, but he seemed well in his opener this week against Alexander Shevchenko.

Another bit of bad news for Medvedev is that he has had a bit of a matchup problem with Mannarino. Medvedev has only beaten him twice in their six previous encounters. Mannarino has won three of their four meetings on grass, including at Hertogenbosch a few weeks ago.

Medvedev won a few matches in this year’s tune up event in Halle and he advanced to the second round at Wimbledon with a straight-set win over British wild card Arthur Fery.
With the head-to-head and current form, I think Mannarino takes this one.

Bet 1: A few beers on Mannarino @4.40
Bet 2: Mannarino +5.5 @1.85

Parody account?

More
11 months 4 weeks ago - 11 months 4 weeks ago #55 by Northerner
Replied by Northerner on topic Wimbledon 2023

Chiefie wrote:

Mannarino is one of the more in-form grass-court players on the tour. He made a couple of quarterfinals and the final in Mallorca last week. He wasn’t fully fit in the final against Chris Eubanks, but he seemed well in his opener this week against Alexander Shevchenko.

Another bit of bad news for Medvedev is that he has had a bit of a matchup problem with Mannarino. Medvedev has only beaten him twice in their six previous encounters. Mannarino has won three of their four meetings on grass, including at Hertogenbosch a few weeks ago.

Medvedev won a few matches in this year’s tune up event in Halle and he advanced to the second round at Wimbledon with a straight-set win over British wild card Arthur Fery.

Parody account?

Chiefie are you serious? Quill consistently posts bets that are well informed and considered.

Just because you have chosen to follow two bets that haven’t won today (and the Mannarino game isn’t even over yet) doesn’t give you free rein to send abuse his way. It’s not his fault you seem to be addicted to gambling and then take it out on others. You’ve already polluted the rugby forum so can you leave the tennis one well alone?
Last edit: 11 months 4 weeks ago by Northerner. Reason: Typo
The following user(s) said Thank You: Quill

More
11 months 4 weeks ago #56 by Chiefie

Northerner wrote:

Chiefie wrote:

Parody account?

Chiefie are you serious? Quill consistently posts well bets that are well informed and considered.

Just because you have chosen to follow two bets that haven’t won today (and the Mannarino game isn’t even over yet) doesn’t give you free rein to send abuse his way. It’s not his fault you seem to be addicted to gambling and then take it out on others. You’ve already polluted the rugby forum so can you leave the tennis one well alone?

Definitely not serious. Was just a joke. I appreciate the work quill puts in.

But where are you when others starts abusing hanrick on the rugby forum?

And not addicted to gambling, but thanks for concern. Jesus, this forum is a joke.

The wokerati out in full force.

More
11 months 4 weeks ago #57 by Northerner

Chiefie wrote:

Northerner wrote:

Chiefie wrote:

Parody account?

Chiefie are you serious? Quill consistently posts well bets that are well informed and considered.

And not addicted to gambling, but thanks for concern. Jesus, this forum is a joke.

its just the level of negativity from you on the rugby posts whenever you are losing a bet - it makes it very hard to know when it’s you being a dick and when it’s just apparently ‘tongue in cheek’. That negativity is often directed at others for you following their bets which they didn’t force you to do. Seems pretty simple.

But also apologies if i sounded like I was making light of any gambling addictions - not the intention, as I recognise how serious it can be

More
11 months 4 weeks ago #58 by Chiefie

Northerner wrote:

Chiefie wrote:

Northerner wrote:

Chiefie wrote:

Parody account?

its just the level of negativity from you on the rugby posts whenever you are losing a bet - it makes it very hard to know when it’s you being a dick and when it’s just apparently ‘tongue in cheek’. That negativity is often directed at others for you following their bets which they didn’t force you to do. Seems pretty simple.

But also apologies if i sounded like I was making light of any gambling addictions - not the intention, as I recognise how serious it can be

I’m not sure how “Parody Account?” Is abusive personally, or can be seen as serious, but everyone seems to be offended at everything these days.

I’ll just sit back and wait for my France U20 bet to roll in. And yeah, maybe best not to be calling out gambling addiction on a betting forum, I think that’s a bit insensitive to those who may be struggling with a real issue.

More
11 months 4 weeks ago #59 by Northerner

Chiefie wrote:

Northerner wrote:

Chiefie wrote:

Northerner wrote:

Chiefie wrote:

Parody account?

I’m not sure how “Parody Account?” Is abusive personally, or can be seen as serious, but everyone seems to be offended at everything these days.

I’ll just sit back and wait for my France U20 bet to roll in. And yeah, maybe best not to be calling out gambling addiction on a betting forum, I think that’s a bit insensitive to those who may be struggling with a real issue.

Parody account as a single comment, yeah nothing much. But like I said you say stuff like that and worse all the time on this site and I think a lot of people find it quite tedious. But you clearly can’t see that so nevermind
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chiefie

More
11 months 4 weeks ago #60 by Chiefie

Northerner wrote:

Chiefie wrote:

Northerner wrote:

Chiefie wrote:

Northerner wrote:

Chiefie wrote:

Parody account?

Parody account as a single comment, yeah nothing much. But like I said you say stuff like that and worse all the time on this site and I think a lot of people find it quite tedious. But you clearly can’t see that so nevermind

Well I’ve never started with anyone, only defended myself when others have had a go first.

Anyway, this is tedious. I’ll give you all a break from me. Best of luck with these bets.

More
11 months 4 weeks ago #61 by Brent Graham
Replied by Brent Graham on topic Wimbledon 2023
Chiefie I don't consider myself easily offended (and I am def not woke :lol: ) but when I read "Parody Account" I saw it as a go at the poster - in this case a GFTG regular who adds great value to the forum

Some of your comments are hilarious but lets keep comments aimed at other posters that may be misinterpreted out of it please

We are here to share bets and info with some good natured banter

Chat with me on Twitter - @BrentGraham
The following user(s) said Thank You: Quill, Northerner

More
11 months 4 weeks ago #62 by shaft
Replied by shaft on topic Wimbledon 2023
Brent you're being too diplomatic. Giving him the boot should be a serious consideration now.

"No team is as good or as bad as their last game."

More
11 months 4 weeks ago #63 by Chiefie

Brent Graham wrote: Chiefie I don't consider myself easily offended (and I am def not woke :lol: ) but when I read "Parody Account" I saw it as a go at the poster - in this case a GFTG regular who adds great value to the forum

Some of your comments are hilarious but lets keep comments aimed at other posters that may be misinterpreted out of it please

We are here to share bets and info with some good natured banter

Firstly apologies to Quill, didn’t mean to offend, was meant in jest.

Brent, just delete my account/Ban me, not worth all the headache I’m sure.

More
11 months 4 weeks ago #64 by Quill
Musetti vs Hurkacz

These two players they have already faced each other once at Wimbledon, two years ago, and Hurkacz won in three sets on his eventual way to the semifinals.
This time however will almost certainly be a lot more competitive than that encounter, and it really is one that Hurkacz could lose. But if he can serve well in the pressure moments, he should have a slight edge given his ability to win free points.

Alex de Minaur vs Matteo Berrettini 

Berrettini did extremely well to beat Sonego in the opening round, but that was his first win in a while.
From a form point of view, I can’t trust him to pull off another big win.
From a physical point of view, I can’t trust him to get right back in action a day later and compete with a counter-puncher like De Minaur over the course of a best-of-five match.
De Minaur, who played the final at Queen’s Club, is simply the better player right now.

Matteo Berrettini has had a rough year. A year ago the world No. 38 was ranked 11th and he had won two grass tournaments on the trot (Stuttgart and Queen’s Club). He got unlucky with a positive COVID-19 test prior to Wimbledon, so he was unable to play the Championships in 2022.

De Minaur and Berrettini have played just twice before on the main tour, with the two players splitting the wins at 1-1. Given De Minaur’s current form and Berrettini’s lack of consistency, I'm taking De Minaur for the win.

Alejandro Davidovich Fokina vs Botic van de Zandschulp 

Van de Zandschulp has been in a disastrous slump since squandering countless chances in the Munich final against Holger Rune and he needed five sets to beat Zhizhen Zhang on Thursday. With no rest, this only adds to his worries. Fokina, on the other hand, beat Arthur Fils in straight sets and will be well rested for round two.

Bet 1: Hurkacz + De Minaur @2.53
Bet 2: Fokina + De Minaur @2.53
The following user(s) said Thank You: The Vann

More
11 months 4 weeks ago #65 by The Vann
Replied by The Vann on topic Wimbledon 2023
O'Connell v Vesely

Hard to pick a winner between these two but both can run hot or cold. Vesely specially has had numerous injury problems. I think one player arrives with his A game today and wins pretty easily.

Match games under 41.5 @ 9/10

Joining Quill on that Fokina/De Minaur double at 15/10

More
11 months 4 weeks ago #66 by Laokai
Top of the morning gents!
Here are a few thoughts about sone of today’s games.

ADF-VDZ
VDZ is def the best grass player of the two, but he’s having a rather anonymous season. ADF won the boys title at Wimbledon years ago, but since then he has no merit on the surface. He beat Fils much easier than most people anticipated, but it was Fils’ first GS grass match, and he looked a little nervous. Also he had qualified into Queen’s but pulled out before the main draw, which was kind of inexplicable. So I’m not sure I want to read too much into ADF’s straight set win.
I read a lot of chatter going for ADF, but I think this could be a tight battle.
I’ll go over 3.5 sets.

Musetti-Hurkacz
Straight wins for both in their two first rounds, against unheralded players. They’re quite evenly matched, even if Hurkacz is far more seasoned on grass.
I expect a tighter affair than the odds suggest.
Over 3.5 sets

The double is at 2.25.

GL

More
11 months 4 weeks ago #67 by The Vann
Sinner v Halys

Just not convinced by Sinner on grass and Halys has looked comfortable behind that big serve

Halys + 5.5 games @ 5/4

More
11 months 4 weeks ago #68 by The Vann
Pella v Safiullin

Scrolling through the odds for this afternoon's matches not sure I agree with the books here. Pella is more comfortable on grass then most of his Argentinian compatriots. I recall him beating Kevin Andersen here a few years ago when Andersen was still a player to be reckoned with. Taking this on the odds

Win Pella @ 7/4
The following user(s) said Thank You: Quill, Laokai

More
11 months 4 weeks ago #69 by Quill

The Vann wrote: Pella v Safiullin

Scrolling through the odds for this afternoon's matches not sure I agree with the books here. Pella is more comfortable on grass then most of his Argentinian compatriots. I recall him beating Kevin Andersen here a few years ago when Andersen was still a player to be reckoned with. Taking this on the odds

Win Pella @ 7/4

After beating Kevin Anderson he followed it up by beating Raonic and reaching the quarter-finals.

Following you on this one.

More
11 months 4 weeks ago #70 by Laokai

Laokai wrote: Top of the morning gents!

ADF-VDZ
VDZ is def the best grass player of the two, but he’s having a rather anonymous season. ADF won the boys title at Wimbledon years ago, but since then he has no merit on the surface. He beat Fils much easier than most people anticipated, but it was Fils’ first GS grass match, and he looked a little nervous. Also he had qualified into Queen’s but pulled out before the main draw, which was kind of inexplicable. So I’m not sure I want to read too much into ADF’s straight set win.
I read a lot of chatter going for ADF, but I think this could be a tight battle.
I’ll go over 3.5 sets.

Musetti-Hurkacz
Straight wins for both in their two first rounds, against unheralded players. They’re quite evenly matched, even if Hurkacz is far more seasoned on grass.
Over 3.5 sets

The double is at 2.25.

GL

Well, that’s a loss, Musetti just not good enough to snatch a set. Sorry about that.

New chances:

-Bouzkova 1.97
Tough win for Garcia yesterday. She’s struggling with injury and after a long and emotional win yesterday, I think she might be able to turn things around fast enough, and loses to Bouzkova who beat her last year.

-Azarenka 2.46
She’s not the player she was, but the matchup is good for her, with Kasatkina lacking huge strokes and a weak second serve. The Russian is good in small play but I think Azarenka hits through her here. Good odds.

-Kenin 1.73
Good odds are long gone, so no bet, but I still think she’s a bet if at some point in the first set she touches 1.9-2.0 while still on serve.

That’s it for today fellas!

GL!

More
11 months 4 weeks ago #71 by Quill

Laokai wrote:

Laokai wrote: Top of the morning gents!

ADF-VDZ
I’ll go over 3.5 sets.

Musetti-Hurkacz
Over 3.5 sets

The double is at 2.25.

GL

Well, that’s a loss, Musetti just not good enough to snatch a set. Sorry about that.

New chances:

-Bouzkova 1.97
Tough win for Garcia yesterday. She’s struggling with injury and after a long and emotional win yesterday, I think she might be able to turn things around fast enough, and loses to Bouzkova who beat her last year.

-Azarenka 2.46
She’s not the player she was, but the matchup is good for her, with Kasatkina lacking huge strokes and a weak second serve. The Russian is good in small play but I think Azarenka hits through her here. Good odds.

-Kenin 1.73
Good odds are long gone, so no bet, but I still think she’s a bet if at some point in the first set she touches 1.9-2.0 while still on serve.

That’s it for today fellas!

GL!

I was just about to post my bet on Kenin here.

She is 20-9 lifetime on grass, including 5-0 here (three wins in qualifying). Four of her victories have come in straight sets, with the only exception being an impressive win over Coco Gauff. It isn’t entirely shocking, as Kenin loves the big stage. She is a former Australian Open champion, after all.
Svitolina is starting to play well again, but I'm not sure she is the player she used to be, since recently returning from the birth of her first child.

I'll take her on a double with Rublev. I think Goffin's run will end here.

Kenin + Rublev @2.13
The following user(s) said Thank You: Laokai

More
11 months 4 weeks ago - 11 months 4 weeks ago #72 by Laraxwell
Replied by Laraxwell on topic Wimbledon 2023
Been following this thread
Some great analysis has gone into tips and shame there isn't always a deserved reward.

I have had my own little joust with Chiefie
But he makes me smile (alot) and this place would be poorer without him

Just my tuppence
Last edit: 11 months 4 weeks ago by Laraxwell. Reason: Error

More
11 months 3 weeks ago #73 by Laokai
Better late than never…

For today I keep it simple:

Tiafoe at 1.84.
Dimitrov is good on grass and he’s having a decent grass season. Two straight wins so far. But to be fair he hasn’t beaten anyone of rank either at Wim or at Queen’s.
Tiafoe has a higher ceiling and he’s in great form. He won Stuttgart earlier in June. His game suits grass really well, he’s physical, and I think he takes advantage of an ageing Dimitrov.
Could be a tight match, and in a way I wish it could be played on one day, but I fear that might go over two days (which would be a slight disadvantage for Tiafoe).

GL

More
11 months 3 weeks ago #74 by The Vann
Been out tasting some new release 2022 reds in the valley for past 6 hours so only smalls

Zverev v Berretini
At level fitness Berretini is the better grass court player. Never saw any of the De Minaur match but the scoreline suggests he must be approaching a reasonable level. Zverev is still not at peak match fitness in my opinion.

Win
Berretini @ 11/10

More
11 months 3 weeks ago #75 by The Vann

Laokai wrote: Better late than never…

Tiafoe at 1.84.
Dimitrov is good on grass and he’s having a decent grass season. Two straight wins so far. But to be fair he hasn’t beaten anyone of rank either at Wim or at Queen’s.
Tiafoe has a higher ceiling and he’s in great form. He won Stuttgart earlier in June. His game suits grass really well, he’s physical, and I think he takes advantage of an ageing Dimitrov.
Could be a tight match, and in a way I wish it could be played on one day, but I fear that might go over two days (which would be a slight disadvantage for Tiafoe).

GL

Thanks. Doubled Tiafoe and Berretini @ 29/10

More
11 months 3 weeks ago #76 by Laokai

The Vann wrote:

Laokai wrote: Better late than never…

Tiafoe at 1.84.

GL

Thanks. Doubled Tiafoe and Berretini @ 29/10

Don’t thank me, Big Foe is in all sorts all trouble. Can’t hit through Dimitrov and can’t solve the slice. Hard to see him turn this around tomorrow.

More
11 months 3 weeks ago #77 by Quill
Rublev - Bublik

Sunday’s match pits two of the most in-form grass court players of the season. I expect it to be a long one with Rublev getting his revenge from their last encounter (the Halle final).

Bublik took the title with a three-set victory, but in a best-of-five situation at a Grand Slam I’ll side with Rublev. He reached the quarterfinals of a major seven times, and that is what’s at stake now.
This is the first time that Bublik has ever even made it to the fourth round at a slam. He has to serve well to be successful, and I’m not sure he can sustain a high level of serving long enough in a best-of-five match involving a lot of pressure. Also, Rublev still leads the head-to-head series 3-1 on the main tour despite his loss in Halle.

Bet 1: Rublev @1.80
Bet 2: Over 40.5 games @1.84

More
11 months 3 weeks ago - 11 months 3 weeks ago #78 by Quill
Sinner to beat Galan 3-0
Safiullin and Shapovalov to play at least 4 sets
Pegula to beat Tsurenko

Triple @2.57
Last edit: 11 months 3 weeks ago by Quill.

More
11 months 3 weeks ago #79 by The Vann
Won't get to watch too much tennis today with the wealth of sport on. For an interest

Rublev v Bublik
4 sets exactly @ 16/10

and the above doubled with a Shapavalov 3-1 win @ 10/1

More
11 months 3 weeks ago #80 by Laokai
Safiullin-Shapovalov
Shapo is having a below average season, but he’s having a good Wim so far. It’s here his best GS are, but one could say the man has largely underperformed up to this point, career-wise.
Safiullin is try to play catch up with the 3 other Russians from the same generation (Meds, KK, Rublev) and so he’s flying a little under the radar. I think he’s got the tools to make a dent here, and with Shapo’s inconstancy I believe he can snatch at least 2 sets.
That pays 1.71.
(I personally combine this with France vs England in the RWC U20 in order to make the odds reach 2.04)

Svitolina-Azarenka
No good read here. Vika has owned Svitolina so far but never on grass. VA has a poor season with no highlights, and Svitolina is performing well here. Azarenka hasn’t played any big hitter yet, so I’m unsure if she can keep up with the pace today. Also ES thrives with the Belarusian-Russian angle to get extra motivated.
No bet

Sinner-Galan
Galan is red hot but tbf he hasn’t played anyone.
Sinner is always to be reckoned with, although one could argue the man keeps underperforming at GS level. He’s got elite level (but still a margin of Djoko and Alcaraz) so this could be quite easy.
I could go with Sinner -2.5 sets but the odds are 1.50, so I’ll go Sinner -8.5 games.Even if Sinner loses one set (in a tiebreak for example), Galan won’t be able to keep up with the pace after a while.
Sinner -8.5 games at 2.04.

GL

More
11 months 3 weeks ago #81 by The Vann
Get to watch the evening match.

Hurkacz v Djokovic
Hurkacz is one of those lose cannons in tennis. He could be clocked 1-1-1 or he could give Djokovic all kinds of trouble if the first serve works for any period of time. I'm thinking he may have a 40-60min window where everything works so taking

Win and Games
Djokovic and over 33.5 games @ 23/20

More
11 months 3 weeks ago #82 by Quill
Hurkacz vs Djokovic

Hurkacz can be competitive in this match. He showed it against Federer two years ago.
He showed it against Djokovic too, at Wimbledon in 2019, with Djokovic winning 7-5, 6-7, 6-1, 6-4.
He is very talented and has a very good serve.

I don't like the odds for going over in games (33.5 @1.84) so I might as well go for Hurkacz to win a set.

Bet: Hurkacz to win a set @2.10

More
11 months 3 weeks ago #83 by Quill

The Vann wrote: Get to watch the evening match.

Hurkacz v Djokovic
Hurkacz is one of those lose cannons in tennis. He could be clocked 1-1-1 or he could give Djokovic all kinds of trouble if the first serve works for any period of time. I'm thinking he may have a 40-60min window where everything works so taking

Win and Games
Djokovic and over 33.5 games @ 23/20

Haha, posted at about the same time and along the same lines.
Great minds...;)

More
11 months 3 weeks ago #84 by Laokai
Hi gents!
Thoughts for day 7:

Meds-Lehecka
Meds is elite and has been for a while, while Lehecka is new at this level. I don’t think the Czech wins this, but it’s hard to get a good read. I’ll pass.
Eubanks-Tsitsipas
I didn’t rate Tsitty very high before the tournament started, and I still don’t. The man has had quite an easy draw and still had to play 14 sets across 3 rounds.
Eubanks is super new at this level so there’s very little sample to go by. He’s got a huge serve and so I think he can at least take a set off the Greek. Tsitty doesn’t often loses to nobodies in GS so I’m a little wary of that.
Eubanks + 1.5 set (he takes at least 2 sets) pays 2.12.
Over 3.5 sets pays 1.49.

Dimitrov-Rune
Tiafoe was a no show and so Dimitrov went through 3-0, well against the odds.
Rune had all kinds of issues in a very entertaining match vs ADF and went through 3-2 in a super tiebreaker, saving 2 mp earlier in the 5th set.
I think the odds here might be tilted in GD’s favour because of these last two matches, while reality could be well tighter.
Over 3.5 sets pays 1.47. I’ll combine it with the over 3.5 sets in the aforementioned match.

Alcaraz-Berettini
It was difficult to predict MB’s performance here, given he only had played one (woeful) match in 3 months coming into the draw, but he has delivered well above expectations. He’s got a really good record on the surface (final here in 21, 2x champion at Queens).
Alcaraz is a fantastic player at top elite level, and I hope he entertains us for many years to come. But he’s still young and well perfectible, especially on grass. He’s had a few slip ups in his first rounds, which he recovered from easily, partly because he was meeting much easier opponents. Berrettini will punish any lapses Alcaraz has, and I think we’re in for a superb encounter with two very different styles.
I am quite wary of the fact that the match might not be played entirely today (Wimb need to fix this ridiculous issue) before curfew and that could affect the final result, but I’ll still play Berrettini to take at least 2 sets at 1.80.

GL
The following user(s) said Thank You: Quill, The Vann

More
11 months 3 weeks ago #85 by Laokai
Women’s draw:

Keys-Andreeva
The American is having some kind of resurgence on grass with a title last week and a good run here.
Andreeva is 16 yo so there’s virtually no sample to go by. I had mentioned her in my preview of the draw, and so it’s not so much of a surprise but it’s hard to tell where her ceiling is.
Odds are well and logically in Keys’ favour but I’ll stay away and enjoy the show.

Haddad Maia - Rybakina
The Brazilian has taken a big step over the last 12-18 months and she’s now a force to be reckoned with. A little unlucky to lose in the semis vs Swiatek in RG, and she’s been playing quite well here.
Rybakina is the defending champ and obliterated Boulder in R3. She’s got elite serve and ground strokes, good composure and poise. She could well win it again this year, but there’s a little something telling me that something is missing or is off in her game, without quite being able to put the finger on it. Maybe I’m just overthinking it, but I’ll pass on her all the way to the final if she is to make it.

Alexandrova-Sabalenka
There should be no issue with the handshake at the end of this one.
Alexandrova has a 3-2 record vs Sabalenka, and has been very good on grass the last couple of seasons. Sabalenka is elite but grass might be her weakest surface.
1.32 for a Sabalenka win is well short, and I’ll take Alexandrova to take at least one set at 1.72.

GL
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brent Graham

More
11 months 3 weeks ago #86 by The Vann
Eubanks v Tsitsipas
Can't say I have been impressed by Tsitsipas thus far. Eubanks is over 2m and I feel height on grass just seems to make a difference. He also beat Murray 4/4 in an exhibition match prior to Wimbledon. Odds are just too long for me

Win
Eubanks @ 9/4

Medvedev v Lehecka
Lehecka has astonished this year specially with that 2/2/2 over Cerundola. He produces that level here he could win in straight sets. I expect Medvedev to produce exactly the same level he has to date and any weakness from Lehecka Medvedev goes through pretty easily.

Match games under 37.5 @ 19/20

Interest for the day

Eubanks/Medvedev/Rune/Alcaraz @ 13/1

More
11 months 3 weeks ago #87 by Quill
Medvedev win + Rybakina win + Berrettini to win one set @2.22

More
11 months 3 weeks ago #88 by Quill
Medvedev win + Eubanks to win one set + Berrettini to win one set @2.22
The following user(s) said Thank You: The Vann, Laokai

More
11 months 3 weeks ago #89 by Quill
Alcaraz vs Berrettini

Alcaraz did not look so menacing and dominant here.
He struggled against Jarry, lost set to him and generally the sets were quite tight and he was broken twice.

Against Muller (no. 84) he played a tie-break and saved 6 break points. I mean who is A. Muller to even have 6 chances to break Alcaraz?

Other than the win against Sonego, who had beaten him in the Stuttgart final only weeks before, Berrettini was dominant, menacing and ruthless.

He blew De Minaur off the court in three sets that were easier won than the score shows.
He then beat Zverev in three sets too, although two were tie-breakers. However, Berrettini had only ONE break point to save.

Berrettini has not been broken once this entire tournament, which means every set can be expected to be long and multiple tiebreakers should be anticipated.

Berrettini looks like he is back to the levels we knew him when he played the final here in 2021 against Djokovic.

At that time he was coming straight from the title at Queen's Club. And then the Wimbledon final. And then he lost almost with a whimper. Djokovic dominated him so much, Berrettini looked like the shadow of his own self, nothing like the one who had been dominating until then.

He did take a set in that final, but it looked more like Djoko took a short break from the intensity. I remember it because not only I watched it, but I was hoping for him to beat Djoko and he was such a disappointment. He had no bite to his game.

Now, back to the present. Is this Berrettini better than the one two years ago? Yes, he may go through Alcaraz and reach the final. Will he give Djoko more of a match than two years ago? If not, he'd better let Alcaraz win, as Carlos will die to take his revenge from Roland Garros.

Given how they played so far, I am inclined to bet on Berrettini.

Bet 1: Over 40.5 games @1.83
Bet 2: Berrettini +3.5 @1.93
Bet 3: Berrettini win @3.00 - two pilseners please
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brent Graham, Laokai

More
11 months 3 weeks ago #90 by The Vann

The Vann wrote:
Interest for the day

Beers for the weekend paid for :beer

More
11 months 3 weeks ago #91 by Quill

The Vann wrote:

The Vann wrote:
Interest for the day

That was a very nice play Vann.

Eubanks had a slow start but kept at it :cheer: :beer

More
11 months 3 weeks ago #92 by Laokai

The Vann wrote:

The Vann wrote:
Interest for the day

Well done!! ;)

More
11 months 3 weeks ago #93 by Laokai
Day 8:

Pegula-Vondrousova
Pegula the most regular player of the two, but none of them is particularly good on grass.
Vondrousova has had a much tougher draw but she benefited from players who couldn’t find the court with a map.
Pegula has been quite clinical in her wins, but she hasn’t played anyone of rank.
No good read, no bet.

Swiatek-Svitolina
Before her maternity leave, Svitolina was known for being the best player never to have made it to a GS final. Has something changed for her now, and has her time come?
Swiatek came in with no particular record on grass. It’s arguably her weakest surface by the sample is still very small. She could have been ousted by Bencic in the previous round but the Swiss couldn’t close her on double match point. Is she ripe for the picking here, and is Svitolina the one to get the chocolates?
I don’t think so, I think it’s a bad matchup for Svitolina and that Swiatek has too much variety in her playbook. If Svitolina is rock solid, she might be able to hit through Iga from the baseline on a quick court, but I’m not sure Iga lets her dictate for 2-3 sets. Besides, ES loves to counter punch but here she won’t get so much direct pace, but angles and chips. I think she could lose in straight.
Iga 2-0 is at 1.45 and that’s a no bet for me.

Sinner-Saffiulin
Sinner has had an autostrada path to the 1/4, not meeting anyone better ranked than 75th or so. Despite his young age he’s well seasoned at GS level now with QF in all of them.
Safiullin is the big surprise of the men’s tournament (with Eubanks) but he’s had a much rougher path until now. He’s got great tools for grass and his game is not far off Sinner’s (albeit a little less elite).
I have doubts about Sinner’s ability to take a step further at this level both mentally and physically, and to reach SF or F.
1.15 for a Sinner win is way too short for my taste. Safiullin +2.5 sets is at 1.7 and the over 3.5 sets is at 1.82.
I don’t think Safiullin takes this 3-0, but I still think he can snatch a set so I’ll take the extra 0.12 offered for over 2.5.

Djoko-Rublev
I don’t think Djoko loses to either Sinner or Safiullin, so if he wins this one he’s in the final. Rublev got obliterated by Djoko at the AO in January, and I’m not certain he has shaken that off him yet.
Does Rublev have the tools to trouble ND on grass.
I actually quite like Noel 3-0 at 1.70.

GL!

More
11 months 3 weeks ago #94 by Quill
This combination for starters.

Pegula vs Vondrousova over 20.5 games
Sinner
Swiatek
Total odds 2.05

Swiatek 2-0 + Sinner @1.75

More
11 months 3 weeks ago #95 by The Vann
Sinner v Safiullin

Agree with Laokai re Sinners ability on grass. He has produced about what I expected so far. The eye-opener for me from Safiullin was the easy way he brushed aside Pella. I think he makes a match of this

Safiullin over 15.5 games @ 9/10

More
11 months 3 weeks ago #96 by Quill
I agree with both Laokai and Vann that Safiulin can make a match of this.

I took Vann's Safiullin over 15.5 games and if Sinner is to win, then we'd have at least 34 games, which gave me this bet:

Sinner win and over 33.5 games @2.10

More
11 months 3 weeks ago #97 by Quill
Rublev vs Djokovic

Djokovic has had at least one tie-breaker in all his matches so far.

Rublev should be confident after his recent results and should be able to give Djokovic a good match.
Not to mention the fact that he beat Djokovic in his own backyard last year in the Belgrade final, when he gave him an incredible bagel in the third set.

Bet: Over 32.5 games @1.88

Alternatively

Djoko win and over 32.5 games @1.95

More
11 months 3 weeks ago #98 by Laokai
Day 9: Men)

Medvedev-Eubanks
Meds has been a top tier player for a couple of years now, but that’s been limited to hard courts. Despite playing well on fast hard courts, having a great serve and hitting the ball flat from both wings, he hasn’t had any noticeable success on grass. His propensity of playing 10 meters behind the baseline isn’t well suited here and he’s been known to struggle against attacking players who rush him at the net. He’s not a natural volleyer either, and so he tends to try to win the points from the back of the court.
Eubanks is a big surprise here. He came in having won Mallorca but without meeting any monster player there, and carried his firm well into the second week of this GS. This obviously very new to him, but he seems to handle the big courts, the sudden exposure and extra attention very well. His attacking style and his huge serve (the man is 2m01) are great weapons to have here. He went 72 times to the net and won 64% of net point vs Tsitty (roughly same average in his other rounds), and he’s got huge numbers on both winners and UEs, which testified to his attacking style.
Tennis is a lot about matchups, and I think Eubanks is good enough to trouble Meds here. They met in Miami in March and he had his chances but still lost 2-0.
Here the surface is faster and Meds has less time for his big swings.
But the Russian is a smart man and has elite return stats. Eubanks hasn’t played anyone like that yet, so I’m not certain he can pull another rabbit of his hat. I still believe he can at least grab a set, and that pays 1.70, which I think is good enough.

Alcaraz-Rune
Two guys from the same vintage, with two different styles of play and two very different character, but both entertaining in their own way.
Being both only 20, sample is well small for grass stats, so the odds roughly reflect their ranking, but have no real other basis. They haven’t really played each other before so there’s no record to go by either. I’d say that 1.25 for Alcaraz win is too short, and no result would really surprise me. I lean Rube +2.5 sets (1.66) but I choose to stay away and enjoy the pop corn.

GL

More
11 months 3 weeks ago #99 by Laokai
Women)

Keys-Sabalenka
The two have a 1-1 record vs each other, with Keys taking him the chocolates in their only grass encounter, back in 2021. They haven’t met since then, and Sabalenka has become another player in the meantime. She’s more confident, she moves a little better, she hits hard, she’s less negative and above all she’s fixed her serving issues. She’s still kind of new at the elite level, but she’s been consistent for the past 2 years.
Keys made the 1/4 at Wimbledon back in 2015 already, but never followed that up with a decent run. She’s on a 9-matches winning streak, having taken home the title in Eastbourne before this. She actually met better players there, and here she just got taken to 3 sets by M.Andreeva who’s the NKOTB at only 16 years of age. Andreeva was all over Keys’ 2nd serve in the first set, but declined after that. Keys also became much agressive in the last two sets, going to the net only 6 times in the first set and 37 times in the last two. That made a huge difference, taking time off Andreeva.
Keys can hit hard too, and if she can reproduce that, stress Sabalenka and keep her on the back foot, she might get the win. I personally don’t think she can sustain this for a long period of time. I think she’s meeting a much tougher opponent here than she has so far and that her run stops here.
Sabalenka wins at 1.48. 2-0 is at 2.3 and I might have a nibble at that.

Jabeur- Rybakina
We never got to see what Haddad Maia could do vs Rybakina, retiring after only a few games. And so the defending champ cones here rather untested. She was a little rusty in her first round, losing the first set, and steam rolled Rogers after that. She got a little scare off Cornet in R2 but the French woman got hurt in the 11th game of set 2, when she actually had Rybakina slightly on the ropes (12 deuces in that game!).
Jabeur has had a below average season, mainly because 2022 was so stellar for her that it was harder to follow up on it. A lot of observers had her winning here last year prior to the tournament, and she did make it to the final. After the first set everyone (and her?) thought it was done, but Rybakina kept going for her served and hit hard while Jabeur was trying all kinds of small and tricky plays to keep Rybakina off balance. She failed and Rybakina took home her first GS.
I had Jabeur on my fade list this year, as I didn’t like the way she handle the beginning of her season. Maybe grass has brought the best of her yet, and beating Kvitova the way she did was for me a surprise (mind you, Kvitova hit a whopping 26 UEs and 5 DFs in only 15 games!). As mentioned before, there’s something I can’t grasp about Rybakina’s game, and so all this to say that I’ll pass :)

(On a side note, I want to apologise for writing such long previews, but I actually like it. I hope it’s not bothering anyone)

GL
The following user(s) said Thank You: Blackadder, Quill

More
11 months 3 weeks ago #100 by Quill

Laokai wrote: Women)

(On a side note, I want to apologise for writing such long previews, but I actually like it. I hope it’s not bothering anyone)

GL

Very good previews, Laokai, thank you.

Just know for future, breaking a text in paragraphs makes it much easier to read.