Varsity Cup rugby 2018, Week 2

More
6 years 2 months ago #1 by Brent Graham
Varsity Cup rugby 2018, Week 2 was created by Brent Graham
The Varsity Cup is back and here are handicaps at WSB - I have not looked around

Madibaz -11.5 v Ikeys - no feel on this one

Maties -12.5 v Shimlas - leaning Maties and should be an entertaining game

UJ -25.5 v CUT - leaning UJ

Wits +10.5 v Tuks - no feel yet

Chat with me on Twitter - @BrentGraham
The following user(s) said Thank You: Oracle

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 2 months ago #2 by Brent Graham
Replied by Brent Graham on topic Varsity Cup rugby 2018, Week 2
I see the Madibaz into -7.5, UJ -27.5 (this is big but CUT look there for the taking) and Wits now +8.5

More
6 years 2 months ago - 6 years 2 months ago #3 by The Missing Link
Replied by The Missing Link on topic Varsity Cup rugby 2018, Week 2
Maddibaz UCT - Tough game to call, both got bashed by Maties in preseason so not much to go on there. I was actually impressed with UCT and I think they have a good coach so was planning on siding with them. problem I have is NMMU have a pretty decent team but more importantly they playing at home in their new stadium after playing every game away last season, they are going to be keen for this one. Capped this game at -5.5 but not going to have a go on the plus as I'm weary NMMU might play above themselves in this game.

Maties Shimlas - Maties look a quality outfit this year and think they'll be revved up in front of the home crowd tonight. Tuks were awful against Shimlas and really should've won comfortably and I can't see maties making as many errors.

UJ CUT - Still don't know how bad CUT are so not really too interested in this one. UJ should win comfortably but CUT showed last season they put up a fight every now and then.

Wits Tuks - I expect Tuks to bounce back this week but Wits are no pushovers these days and will be decent at home. I would lean to the minus but I the bookies capped it pretty similar to how I would've had it so sitting out.

For the above reasons, only one bet.
Maties -12.5
Last edit: 6 years 2 months ago by The Missing Link.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brent Graham, kt6747, Stoossy

More
6 years 2 months ago #4 by The Missing Link
Going to have a go at UCT on the board at 12/10 at halftime. Coach has drilled them well, especially in the scrum and I think they've survived the initial onslaught. Also leading while having a man in the bin for 10min.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cettas

More
6 years 2 months ago #5 by The Missing Link
Not a quality game by any stretch of the imagination but the new coach has really drilled these UCT guys in the scrum, only difference between the two teams. Fancy both teams to get a few hidings this season and will be opposing them most games
The following user(s) said Thank You: Stoossy

More
6 years 2 months ago #6 by hanrick
Replied by hanrick on topic Varsity Cup rugby 2018, Week 2
Nice call on UCT, TML. Tank Lanning is the man drilling them in the scrums this year.

Let the battle begin www.twitter.com/hanrickswart
The following user(s) said Thank You: The Missing Link

More
6 years 2 months ago #7 by Brent Graham
Like Maties and UJ but missed kick off so in the interests of avoiding a no bet week I will have a nibble Tuks -7.5

More
6 years 2 months ago #8 by Stoossy
Replied by Stoossy on topic Varsity Cup rugby 2018, Week 2

Brent Graham wrote: Like Maties and UJ but missed kick off so in the interests of avoiding a no bet week I will have a nibble Tuks -7.5

thats discipline

More
6 years 2 months ago #9 by Brent Graham
Haha by my standards yes

Wits playing some good stuff, but this Tuks side are very badly coached

More
6 years 2 months ago #10 by The Missing Link
Wits look to have some very decent players this year. Tuks look awful and they going to get slapped up next week too in Stellenbosch, especially if they play like this. Quite surprised this Wits team didn't win more comfortably against UCT last week though, still trying to work out if Tuks are just that bad or UCT aren't too bad. Maties miles ahead of everyone this year, Pukke only team that is still unknown quality wise.

More
6 years 2 months ago #11 by Stoossy

The Missing Link wrote: Wits look to have some very decent players this year. Tuks look awful and they going to get slapped up next week too in Stellenbosch, especially if they play like this. Quite surprised this Wits team didn't win more comfortably against UCT last week though, still trying to work out if Tuks are just that bad or UCT aren't too bad. Maties miles ahead of everyone this year, Pukke only team that is still unknown quality wise.

e=why did they use their powerplay fff

More
6 years 2 months ago #12 by Brent Graham
I have seen some stupidity on the sports field in my time but calling a power play when Wits had the ball must rank as the worst I have seen.

More
6 years 2 months ago #13 by Experienced Novice
Replied by Experienced Novice on topic Varsity Cup rugby 2018, Week 2
Hands down the worst coached team in Varsity Cup. The power play call, opting or the posts when you have all the momentum, no commitment to turnovers etc. Will punt the Maties on the 40 point minus.

More
6 years 2 months ago #14 by Stoossy
they should open a match fixing case on this game at the very least a common sense test !!!

More
6 years 2 months ago #15 by The Missing Link
Don't know how the bookies are going to cap the Maties Tuks game next week, scary how many points they going to have to give a usually quality team like Tuks. Other 3 games also very tough to pick a favourite let alone handicap. Think there could be some value next week and have my eye on a couple of the caps.

More
6 years 2 months ago #16 by The Missing Link

Experienced Novice wrote: Hands down the worst coached team in Varsity Cup. The power play call, opting or the posts when you have all the momentum, no commitment to turnovers etc. Will punt the Maties on the 40 point minus.

Madibaz calling a power play on their 5m line while their scrum is getting dominated takes the cake for me as worst call of the day. UCT scrummed it over for 9 points. Any team that doesn't take the power play from a restart has no idea what they doing

More
6 years 2 months ago #17 by Stoossy

The Missing Link wrote:

Experienced Novice wrote: Hands down the worst coached team in Varsity Cup. The power play call, opting or the posts when you have all the momentum, no commitment to turnovers etc. Will punt the Maties on the 40 point minus.

Madibaz calling a power play on their 5m line while their scrum is getting dominated takes the cake for me as worst call of the day. UCT scrummed it over for 9 points. Any team that doesn't take the power play from a restart has no idea what they doing

at least it was Madibaz ball other one was worse

More
6 years 2 months ago - 6 years 2 months ago #18 by shaft
Replied by shaft on topic Varsity Cup rugby 2018, Week 2
My understanding is that you have to use your powerplay by the 60th minute strategy break. If you don't, it kicks in automatically after the break regardless of your position or whether you have possession.

But the rule also says the powerplay can only be taken in your own half. So who knows what will happen if you're in the opponent's half at the 60th minute. These new gimmicks... :huh:

"No team is as good or as bad as their last game."
Last edit: 6 years 2 months ago by shaft.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brent Graham, Stoossy