Tennis : US Open

More
2 years 8 months ago #1 by The Vann
Tennis : US Open was created by The Vann
Draw was made on Friday which sees Djokovic/Zverev in the top half and Tsitsipas/Medvedev in the bottom half. Been some strange results in the four warm-up tournaments won by Sinner/Medvedev/Zverev(First time he made it past round one in six attempts in Cincinnati) and Ivashka in Salem yesterday.
On the men's side I think Zverev has a real chance in that half of the draw. He beat Djokovic in the Olympics and won in the USA two weeks ago. I have not seen Djokovic since the Olympics and he does have a history of losing focus on tennis. In the bottom half hard to make a case for anyone other then Medvedev.
Not a follower of ladies tennis but Barty has struggled at the US and Osaka is now in a country where wokeism is rife so she can play all those cards and get away with it as opposed to somewhere like France where they generally do not buy into it.

OUT RIGHTS
Win
Medvedev @ 77/20
and a double
Zverev/Osaka @ 45/1
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brent Graham

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 years 8 months ago - 2 years 8 months ago #2 by The Vann
Replied by The Vann on topic Tennis : US Open
Awful weekend for me. Basically bagled by the books late last night when Dechambeau lost in a play off.
Not spending too much money in the first two rounds at the US but starting with a little double on the earlier matches.

Isner v Nakashima
Isner won 6 and 5 earlier this year and has wins over Norrie and Sinner this month and he does do quite well at the US Open. I don't think this will be easy and may look at overs in games later on.

Paire v Lajovic
Paire won in three sets early last year but has been walk about for the first six months of this year. I think he won only 2 or 3 in the first six months. I'm not sure if he has overcome his mental problems or if everyone else has gone stir crazy with the bubble life and joined him but recently he has won a few matches including beating Isner, Shapavalov and run Rublev to 3 sets. Should have enough here.

Isner/Paire win @ 14/10
Last edit: 2 years 8 months ago by The Vann.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Quill

More
2 years 8 months ago - 2 years 8 months ago #3 by The Vann
Looking through today's matches trying to find the upsets. Possibles are Anderson, Cilic, Evans and Millman. Am risking a few beers on

Anderson v Vesely
These two are 3-3 in H2H. Vesely has had injury problems this year but Anderson has lost in the first round of his last three hard court tournaments.

Millma v Laaksonen
Millman is 0-2 in slams this year and managed a run of five first round hard court exits. Laaksonen won three qualifiers to make the main draw.

A few beers on
Vesely/Laaksonen win @ 35/4
Last edit: 2 years 8 months ago by The Vann.

More
2 years 8 months ago #4 by Quill
Replied by Quill on topic Tennis : US Open
A couple of bets for me.

Isner + Paire, following Vann.

Giron + Garin + Tsitsipas + Medvedev + Aliassime @2.13

Gombos is outside top 100 and is not in good form. He is struggling on hard, with only one win this year. He lost to lowly players, like Purcell, Bolt or Jaziri.
Garin went for four rounds at the French Open and Wimbledon, so he should take care of business here.

Giron is in top 100 and plays well on hard. He reached the quarter-finals at Winston Salem and he should be ready to go here.
Hoang has come here in poor form, having lost to Lehecka or Cobolli, certainly not US Open level players.
He is coming from qualifications here, but he got lucky against Kukushkin after losing the first set to nil, and saving a match point in the second set tie-break.

I'm taking Tsitsipas, Medvedev and Aliassime as fillers to bring the odds up to above 2.00.
The following user(s) said Thank You: The Vann

More
2 years 8 months ago #5 by The Vann
Games quote in the Isner match a little high for my liking so settling with

Cilic v Kohlschreiber
The H2H is 7-5 and neither are in good form. Cilic has a good serve and Kohlschreiber although only 5 ft 10 (Yeah sue me for not knowing metres) averages 10% more aces then his opponents on average. Hopefully run to a tie breaker or two here.

Match games over 38.5 @ virtually evens.

More
2 years 8 months ago #6 by Quill
Rublev vs Karlovic
Martinez vs Duckworth

Karlovic's baseline game is considerably worse than it used to be. His serve also isn't as efficient as it used to be.
He could be playing the final match of his lengthy career tonight. Karlovic is expected to announce his retirement following his run at the U.S. Open. This has already been a successful one for Karlovic, who qualified for the main draw with defeats of Nikola Milojevic, Hugo Dellien and Yuichi Sugita. He once was no. 14 and is now ranked 223rd and he has won just two ATP-level matches this year.

His reward for qualification may not be exactly what he had in mind, as Rublev is one of the toughest possible opponents in the field. Rublev leads the tour with 67 match wins in the past one year and he just reached the Cincinnati final (upset Medvedev in the semis before falling to Zverev).
Karlovic’s serve may keep him competitive for a while, but he hasn’t faced anyone in the top 35 since January 2020, so this is going to be a rude awakening for the veteran.
I think Rublev will send Karlovic into a well-deserved retirement in mostly routine fashion.

Martinez hasn't played a game on hard courts since March.
Duckworth is coming from a good run in Toronto Masters, where he defeated Fritz and Sinner before losing to Medvedev.

Rublev 3-0 + Duckworth @2.07

More
2 years 8 months ago #7 by The Vann
Isner/Paire was a disaster but we got our funds back with the Cilic games. Anderson had to win sets 4 and 5 on a tie break to deprive us of our weekend beers. No live betting on the match in SA so I could not even cover a six pack when Vesely led 2-1.

Zverev v Querrey
Zverev has been known to take time to settle into a match but in his last three outings he gave up Rublev(2) Tsitspas(4) Ruud(1) - seven games in the first sets against quality opponents. Querrey has lost his last three first round matches against world ranked 56+84 without winning a set and taking one set off world rank 141. If Zverev starts off well here this should land

Total Match Games under 31.5 @ evens

More
2 years 8 months ago #8 by The Vann
Taking a little home town treble which makes it interesting checking the scores every now and then

Kudla/McDonald/Opelka (My 6ft 10in lost so adding an inch) @ 31/20

and my man Harris can be difficult at times so could sneak a set
Khachanov v Harris
Khachanov Win 3-1 @ 3/1

More
2 years 8 months ago #9 by Quill
Duckworth blew away my hopes of a small win yesterday, as he was 2 sets up and had 4 match points in the third set. He ended up losing the third set and the following two. :angry:

I like Vann's unders in Zverev vs Querrey match.

I've taken the following for tonight

Karatsev + Nishikori + McDonald @2.04

Escobedo + Karatsev @2.00

Khachanov vs Harris Over 39.5 @1.83

More
2 years 8 months ago #10 by The Vann
Have settled on this match for my overs bet.

Thompson v Mager
These guys met in February on hard court where Thompson won 2-1 and they racked up 29 games. I think in a five setter they should manage

Match Games over 37.5 @ 19/20

More
2 years 8 months ago #11 by Quill
Fritz vs De Minaur

Both players are in questionable form. Previous meetings (2-3 years ago) ended in straight sets to De Minaur.
Fritz will have an advantage playing in front of the American crowd, but with the matchup clearly favouring de Minaur, I expect this to be a long match.

Total over 38.5 games @1.90

More
2 years 8 months ago #12 by Quill
Rublev vs Martinez

In the first round Martinez took advantage of Duckworth's collapse in the third set, as he was two sets down and faced 4 match points which he saved, then went on to win the match.

Rublev took care of business against Karlovic in three sets.

Bet: Under 38.5 games @1.90

More
2 years 8 months ago #13 by Quill
Some multis.

Rublev + Nakashima + Ruud + Alcaraz @2.00

Aliassime + Medvedev + Bautista Agut + Halep @2.06

More
2 years 8 months ago #14 by The Vann
Hurkacz v Seppi
Here we have the chap who bagled the Fed at Wimbledon versus the old dude who did win his first round at both the French and Wimbledon but lost in the second without winning a set at both. I expect a straight set win here.

Match games under 32.5 @ evens

More
2 years 8 months ago #15 by The Vann
Overs pick for the evening
Karatsev v Thompson
Karatsev made the Aussie semi's but since May he has yet to win back to back matches. Thompson has improved during the year and has made four quarter finals. He's the kind of player that just hangs in as much as possible.

Match games over 37.5 @ 19/20

More
2 years 8 months ago #16 by Quill
Opelka vs Musetti

Their previous meeting ended in a win to Opelka, but more surprisingly it happened on the clay courts of Rome earlier this year. Opelka however, is not exactly a clay-courter.
Since the French Open, Musetti has won only one match, a victory here over American Emilio Nava, who is ranked 385 in the world.
Opelka is having a good summer. He reached the finals of the Toronto Masters, where he lost to Daniil Medvedev. With the courts playing fast so far and the American playing well, this should be a quick win for Opelka.

Bet 1: Opelka 3-0 @2.50
Bet 2: Under 39.5 games @1.83

More
2 years 8 months ago #17 by The Vann
Evening double does not amount to much but don't really see anything else with reasonable odds.

To win
Kudla/Monfils @ 11/10

Always enjoy trying to pick the upset and this evenings winner is

Creesy v Basilashvili
Win
Creesy @ 17/10

More
2 years 8 months ago #18 by Quill
I've got a very similar double to yours, Vann.

Monfils + Bublik @2.05

Sock is in the midst of yet another comeback from injury and has only two top-50 wins dating back to the start of 2019 and none since the 2020 French Open..
Bublik has runner-up performances in Antalya and Singapore and a 6-0, 4-6, 6-2, 6-1 defeat of Yannick Hanfmann on Tuesday. He is not one of the most reliable players on tour (he hit 10 double-faults against Hanfmann, for example), but he is one of the most talented and for the most part he is beginning to live up to it.

Monfils is finally starting to enjoy tennis again and is winning some matches. He reached the quarterfinals in Toronto and the third round in Cincinnati, and he destroyed Federico Coria 6-3, 6-2, 6-2 on Tuesday.

More
2 years 8 months ago #19 by Quill
Alcaraz vs Tsitsipas

In the two matches so far Alcaraz hit 6 and 8 aces, respectively.
Tsitsipas had 27 aces against Mannarino and 19 against Murray.

Bet 1: Over 17.5 aces @1.91
Bet 2: Tsitsipas over 12.5 aces @1.80, both with sportsbet

More
2 years 8 months ago #20 by Quill
Van Zandschulp + Jabeur + Osaka @2.39

Schwartzman + Jabeur + Osaka @2.27

More
2 years 8 months ago #21 by Quill
Bautista Agut over Auger-Aliassime

Both players are in good form and I expect both of them to win at least a set.

Bet: Over 38.5 games @1.83

More
2 years 8 months ago #22 by Quill
Djokovic vs Nishikori

The H2H is a dominant 17-2 to Djokovic and he has won 16 in a row. And if those numbers aren’t daunting enough, consider this: they just met at the Tokyo Olympics and Djokovic rolled 6-2, 6-0.

Bet: Under 29.5 games @1.85

More
2 years 8 months ago #23 by Quill
Karatsev vs Brooksby

Karatsev has cooled off in a big way since his win in Dubai in March.
Brooksby has the game to trouble him. He is extremely patient with a game of precision and placement, which can force Karatsev to make plenty of unforced errors.

Karatsev saved a fourth-set match point against Jordan Thompson in the second-round – realistically a match the Australian should have won.
Brooksby is a player on the rise, he has a 40-9 record in 2021, and has claimed a number of good wins over the last few weeks, including Tiafoe, Auger Aliassime and Fritz.

Brooksby @1.90

More
2 years 7 months ago #24 by The Vann
Lost Osaka from my out right last night. Zverev still floating around at 9/2 which I think is pretty long for someone who handed Djokovic a bit of a lesson last time they met on a hard court. Taking some of that.

Van De Zandschulp v Schwartzman
The little guy has had it easy thus far not facing a top 70 player. The last time he lost was in Cincinnati three weeks ago against Ruud - the same Ruud beaten by Van De Z four days ago. The Dutch No 1 is a tenacious guy and I think he may grab a set here.

Match games over 34.5 @ 19/20

Not taking anything on the other two matches - markets are well set.

More
2 years 7 months ago - 2 years 7 months ago #25 by Quill

The Vann wrote: Lost Osaka from my out right last night. Zverev still floating around at 9/2 which I think is pretty long for someone who handed Djokovic a bit of a lesson last time they met on a hard court. Taking some of that.

Van De Zandschulp v Schwartzman
The little guy has had it easy thus far not facing a top 70 player. The last time he lost was in Cincinnati three weeks ago against Ruud - the same Ruud beaten by Van De Z four days ago. The Dutch No 1 is a tenacious guy and I think he may grab a set here.

Match games over 34.5 @ 19/20

Not taking anything on the other two matches - markets are well set.

I was just about to post my bet for this match, a very similar one to yours.

Schwartzman is yet to drop a set this tournament so far, but Van De Zandschulp is having a great year.
We know the Schwartzman serve is the most vulnerable area of his game, and although his skill and talent will guide him to a win, I think this will go longer than three sets.

Schwartzman to win & Both Players to Win Set @2.40, bet365
alternatively,
Schwartzman to win & Over 35.5 games @2.30, sportsbet
Last edit: 2 years 7 months ago by Quill. Reason: typo

More
2 years 7 months ago #26 by Quill
Tiafoe vs Auger-Aliassime

Both players have had two of their three wins gone over the 39.5 games this tournament. I expect both players to take sets in a long match here.

Bet: Over 39.5 games @1.83

More
2 years 7 months ago #27 by The Vann
Good call on the Canadian youngster Quill.

Zverev v Sinner
I think Sinner could run Zverev close in a set or two. I made the game cap around 37 and it's on offer at 35.5 choice so going one extra for the longer odds.

Total match games over 36.5 @ 21/20
and looking for that close set
Tie breaks over 0.5 @ 21/20

More
2 years 7 months ago #28 by Quill
Karolina Pliskova vs Pavlyuchenkova

I think that Karolina Pliskova is one of the best servers on the women's tour right now.
She blasted more than 50 aces in the first three rounds here, of which 24 vs Anisimova and 20 vs Ajla Tomljanovic in the last two rounds.

Bet 1: Ka Pliskova Over 12.5 Aces @1.83, bet365
Bet 2: Ka Pliskova (-2.5) @1.83, bet365

More
2 years 7 months ago #29 by Quill
Otte vs Berrettini

Otte's been impressive here so far, and has been solid at majors in 2021 – he took Zverev to five sets at Roland Garros, and Murray to five at Wimbledon.
Coming from qualifications without losing a set, he beat Sonego (6-7 7-5 7-6 7-6), Kudla (6-4 6-4 6-2) and Seppi (6-3 6-4 2-6 7-5). He is also a powerful server, scoring 16 and 15 aces respectively in the last two rounds.

Berrettini doesn't look at his best here, as he took a couple of tie-breakers in his first-round against Chardy, four sets against Moutet in the second and needed five sets to get past Ivashka last round, going to at least one tie-break in every match.
Berrettini's got a booming first serve and he generates many aces.

Bet 1: Total Aces Over 27.5 @1.83, bet365
Bet 2: Total Games Over 33.5 @1.83, bet365

More
2 years 7 months ago #30 by Quill
Van de Zandschulp vs Medvedev

Medvedev is yet to drop a set at Flushing Meadows, with all sets going to 6. Three of his four wins have gone under the 27.5 games line. The only match that went over was in his fourth-round with Daniel Evans who is ranked 27th in the world, with the games landing on 28.

Van De Zandschulp has had an epic run including a four-set win over Ruud and a five-set win over Schwartzman, but he’s no match for Medvedev right now. In the Russian’s last 14 matches against opposition ranked 51+, the total games has gone under 27.5 in 12 of them, dating back to the 2020 Australian Open. Medvedev is on fire here, he's in an entirely different class, he dispatched his opponents with no fuss. He's aiming towards Djokovic (who is going towards a clash with Zverev) and his first Grand Slam.
Fitness will play a crucial part for the Dutchman, as he hasn't had a single straight sets match, including in qualifications.

This will likely be another routine day at the office for Medvedev.

Bet 1: Under 27.5 games @1.90
Bet 2: Medvedev Under 18.5 games @1.80

More
2 years 7 months ago #31 by Quill
Medvedev was 6-3 and 6-0 up after two sets last night and I thought it was going to be a really short day at the office for him, especially that Van Zandschulp wasn't showing anything.
Then it all went on a downward slope and I lost both bets.
One of them was like a safety bet, the total games one, just in case there would be a longer set in there, a 7-5 or a 7-6, and at least if Medvedev had more than 18 games, I had one bet to save me. I'd have been happy with a 7-5 to Medvedev in the third... :dry: :huh:

Anyway, let's see what we have tonight.

Zverev vs Harris

Zverev is looking very good right now. He is 15-0 since Wimbledon, with Olympic gold, the Cincinnati title, and U.S. Open defeats of Sam Querrey, Albert Ramos, Jack Sock, and Jannik Sinner. Only Sock took a set and the other three opponents forced a grand total of one tiebreaker.

The Harris serve has been very good so far. If he can maintain his dominant serve, he is playing well enough to take a set off Zverev, and we can even see a tiebreaker in there, easily covering the total games line.

Bet: Over 34.5 @1.80, bet365

More
2 years 7 months ago #32 by The Vann
Stiffs on that Medvedev match Quill.

Zverev v Harris
Harris concerns me from a punting perspective in that he is a completely different prospect now that he spent last year under Covid getting properly fit. He always had the game but he kept getting tired/injured. My take on the match is the New Harris will provide the same consistency throughout the match. Zverev has been known to send his body out to play with his brain only arriving for the second set. These guys last met on hard court on 18 Aug and Zverev won 7-6/6-2. I agree with Quill that Harris could get a set here but I'm calling it.

To win 1st set
Harris @ 28/10
and half stake
Zverev to win 3-1 @ 53/20

More
2 years 7 months ago #33 by Quill
Djokovic has not always been at his best this tournament, and he’ll face his first top-50 opponent in the Quarter Final when he takes on the eighth ranked player in the world, Berrettini.

Djokovic generally steamrolls his way to this stage of a major without dropping a set, but now he has only managed the one straight-sets victory, in the second-round. Both Nishikori and Brooksby took the first set off him.

Berrettini has not beaten Djokovic in three attempts so far, but both at the French Open and Wimbledon Berrettini took a set.

Bet: Over 33.5 games @1.83

More
2 years 7 months ago #34 by Quill
Johnson/Querrey vs Ram/Salisbury

These are probably the two doubles with the best serve on tour.
Johnson/Querrey haven't lost their serve so far, while Ram/Salisbury lost their serve only once, against Bopanna/Dodig (6-7 6-4 7-6).

Bet: Over 22.5 games @1.84

More
2 years 7 months ago - 2 years 7 months ago #35 by Quill
Double Doubles

Ram/Salisbury vs Murray/Soares
Stosur/Zhang vs Guarachi/Krawczyk

Ram/Salisbury have been impressive throughout the tournament, especially on their own serve. Moreover, Ram/Salisbury won in their only h2h so far, in a dominant performance at the Australian Open this year.
Rajeev Ram & Joe Salisbury didn't give any break points in the quarter-final and semifinal, and lost their serve only once in five matches.

Stosur/Zhang are in great form, having won 9 matches in a row, with the title in Cincinnati and 4 wins in straight sets here, including against top pairs.

Ram/Salisbury @1.61
Stosur/Zhang @1.57
Total odds 2.53, bet365
Last edit: 2 years 7 months ago by Quill.

More
2 years 7 months ago #36 by The Vann
Auger-Aliassime v Medvedev
Just think the youngsters hands are too slow to worry Medvedev at the net. He is not winning from deep. Taking the longest odds I could find

Match Games under 29.5 @ 3/1

More
2 years 7 months ago #37 by Quill
Djokovic vs Zverev

Djokovic holds a 2-1 record against Zverev this year, but both of Novak’s wins were very close. In the ATP Cup he took it 7-5 in the final set, while in their Quarter Final at this year’s Australian Open Djokovic won in a fourth set tiebreaker.

Djokovic has dropped the opening set in three of five matches and he has won in straight sets just one time.
Zverev has been in dominant form so far. He has now won 16 straight matches dropping just three sets over that span – this includes beating Novak Djokovic in the Semi Final at Tokyo.

I expect a long match in which both players to win a set and Zverev to at least stay close.

Bet 1: Zverev +4.5 @1.80
Bet 2: Over 38.5 games @1.83

More
2 years 7 months ago #38 by Quill
Women's Final

Raducanu vs Fernandez

These two have been giant killers at this tournament.
Fernandez has certainly taken the bigger scalps across the tournament – Naomi Osaka, Angelique Kerber, Elina Svitolina and Aryna Sabalenka. She’s done it the hard way with all four wins going to three sets, but this also shows how clutch the Canadian has been.

Raducanu on the other hand has posted quick wins. She has dropped a total of 27 games in her six matches so far which includes wins over form players Belinda Bencic and Maria Sakkari.

At a closer look, we can see that Raducanu has beaten players performing at their peak – Sorribes Tormo in the third round, destroyed Rogers in the fourth round who just beat Barty, Bencic coming off gold at Tokyo, and Sakkari playing in her second Grand Slam Semi Final in her last three majors.

Taking nothing away from the quality of Fernandez’s victories, but we know Osaka has been going through a bit, Svitolina has hardly had any impact in a second week at majors, while Sabalenka has now lost her last two Grand Slam Semi Finals despite being a red-hot favourite.

Lastly, Raducanu has given me the impression that she is riding higher than Fernandez, much more confident.

Bet 1: Raducanu 2-0 @2.37
Bet 2: Raducanu -2.5 @1.80

More
2 years 7 months ago #39 by The Vann
Lovely call on the ladies Quill. Was heavily invested in Zverev on a financial and mental side so been sulking for the last few days.

Djokovic v Medvedev
These guys have met 8 times over 23 sets with just one tie breaker. Djokovic leads 5-3. I always feel great players have an extra gear and I feel Zverev has this quality. Obviously Djokovic does but Medvedev is a kinda "What he has on the day is what you get" This is either going to be good enough on the day or Djokovic wins going away like the Aussie open earlier this year in straight sets. I have Medvedev on the outright and taking two match plays.

Match Games under 38.5 @ 19/20

Tie Breakers over 0.5 - No @ 7/4

More
2 years 7 months ago #40 by Quill
Djokovic vs Medvedev

I think Medvedev will give Djokovic a good match here.

Bet: Over 37.5 games @1.83

More
2 years 7 months ago #41 by The Vann
I think we landed more then we lost here Quill so a good thread. I went a little overboard on Zverev but the Medvedev outright and both bets landing last night saw me nudge into the black.
All things being equal see you in Sydney in January.

More
2 years 7 months ago #42 by Quill
It was a good thread indeed, Vann, and I enjoyed exchanging bets with you. :beer

See you in Sydney (or Melbourne) in January, however we have the Next Gen and Nitto ATP Finals in November, and there are two Masters 1000 coming up, one in Indian Wells in October and one in Paris in November.

Shall we allow ourselves to get tempted by these? See how we feel about them when the time comes...