Heineken Champions Cup, Challenge Cup + other Rugby 20-22 January

More
1 year 4 months ago #1 by Brent Graham
A bit of an up and down weekend for me with nice wins on the Sharks handicap and Exeter overs however I had got off to a bad start so those games put me slightly ahead only to finish down after backing overs in the Stormers game

Onto this week and we have Heineken Cup and Challenge Cup - the final round of group action.

I will focus on the Champions Cup for now - here is a short summary for each game and a predicted handicap (warning this could be way out as I am only getting back into things and I could see a couple of teams making big changes due to their position on the log)

Lyon +5.5 v Bulls
Lyon are 10th n the group and could still sneak into the top 8 to qualify. The Bulls are 6th and just need a bonus point to qualify and they will likely go through even if they don't have one. A tough game to handicap - do Lyon feel they have any hope?

Leicester -13.5 v Ospreys
Ospreys are 5th in their group and likely to qualify even if they lose. They just need a bonus point to ensure qualification. Leicester are 3rd in their group and in the last 16.

Northampton +12.5 v La Rochelle
Northampton are bottom of the log and only have a mathematical chance of qualifying. La Rochelle are 2nd in their group and already qualified.

Harlequins -5.5 v Sharks
Quins are 7th and need a win to ensure qualification. The Sharks are 2nd and qualified

Bordeaux +8.5 v Gloucester
Bordeaux are 11th and Gloucester 9th in Pool A - both could in theory still qualify with a win.. A tough game no idea the motivation levels of Bordeaux in particular

Leinster -25.5 v Racing 92
Leinster are top of their group and a bonus point will will ensure they finish there.. Racing are 8th in the same group and have qualification in their own hands. Will Racing even try?

Exeter -22.5 v Castres
Exeter are 4th in their Pool (A) and have qualified. Castre have yet to get a point in the same pool and have only a mathematical chance of going through

Stormers -24.5 v Clermont
Stormers are 4th in pool B and should qualify even in defeat - a bonus point would ensure passage to the last 16. Clermont are 8th and at risk if they lose. I am thinking the French will send a B team

Ulster +5.5 v Sale
10th v 9th in Group B. Another tough one - I am frankly guessing with the cap :lol:

Montpellier -22.5 v London Irish
Montpellier are 7th in Pool B with Irish 11th. Irish would need a bonus point win and other results to go their way to qualify. I think Irish send a weakened team

Toulouse -16.5 v Munster
Toulouse are top of group B and qualified. Munster are 6th and likely to qualify even if they lose

Edinburgh +9.5 v Saracens
Edinburgh are 5th in Pool A and qualified. Saracens are 3rd and qualified - cap I have no idea but should be an open game

The Handicap and Newsletter will return this week!

Chat with me on Twitter - @BrentGraham
The following user(s) said Thank You: kt6747, Stoossy, Brad Breath, Kirky, wslark1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 year 4 months ago #2 by shaft
I miss super rugby. This guessing over team selections and motivation is a shlep man..

"No team is as good or as bad as their last game."
The following user(s) said Thank You: Stoossy, Kirky

More
1 year 4 months ago #3 by Stoossy

More
1 year 4 months ago - 1 year 4 months ago #4 by Pablo
4/4 last week early value tips and this week in my opinion those early value lines are:

Stormers -11.5 ha (Clermont coach Gibbs was sacked this morning and with almost no chance to qualify I don´t expect a strong group for this match, specially with Lyon away trip next week)
Exeter -25.5 ha (Castres with no interest expect to send a C team as they have an important match against UBB next week at home, Exeter over points also in mind)
Northampton +18.5 ha (some impressive stuff from the men in BG&G last week against Munster and, even with no chances of qualify, I expect them not to be trashed in front of their home fans. SR with some important injuries but will send the best available to play in Northampton)
Last edit: 1 year 4 months ago by Pablo.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kirky, wslark1

More
1 year 4 months ago #5 by Kirky
Maybe we need to consider the various team's absentees due to 6N callups ?

Asking for a friend :P

More
1 year 4 months ago - 1 year 4 months ago #6 by Pablo

Pablo wrote: 4/4 last week early value tips and this week in my opinion those early value lines are:

Stormers -11.5 ha (Clermont coach Gibbs was sacked this morning and with almost no chance to qualify I don´t expect a strong group for this match, specially with Lyon away trip next week)
Exeter -25.5 ha (Castres with no interest expect to send a C team as they have an important match against UBB next week at home, Exeter over points also in mind)
Northampton +18.5 ha (some impressive stuff from the men in BG&G last week against Munster and, even with no chances of qualify, I expect them not to be trashed in front of their home fans. SR with some important injuries but will send the best available to play in Northampton)

Penaud, Raka and Simone not in the group to South Africa as expected, a lot of firepower missing by Clermont. Falgoux, Beheregaray, Ojovan, Lavanini and Vahaamahina also out.
Last edit: 1 year 4 months ago by Pablo.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kirky

More
1 year 4 months ago #7 by Brent Graham
Here are my caps v current caps - left original comments

Lyon +5.5 v Bulls (-1.5)
Lyon are 10th n the group and could still sneak into the top 8 to qualify. The Bulls are 6th and just need a bonus point to qualify and they will likely go through even if they don't have one. A tough game to handicap - do Lyon feel they have any hope?

Leicester -13.5 v Ospreys (-11.5)
Ospreys are 5th in their group and likely to qualify even if they lose. They just need a bonus point to ensure qualification. Leicester are 3rd in their group and in the last 16.

Northampton +12.5 v La Rochelle (+19.5)
Northampton are bottom of the log and only have a mathematical chance of qualifying. La Rochelle are 2nd in their group and already qualified.

Harlequins -5.5 v Sharks(-1.5)
Quins are 7th and need a win to ensure qualification. The Sharks are 2nd and qualified

Bordeaux +8.5 v Gloucester (-5.5)
Bordeaux are 11th and Gloucester 9th in Pool A - both could in theory still qualify with a win.. A tough game no idea the motivation levels of Bordeaux in particular.

Leinster -25.5 v Racing 92 (-18.5)
Leinster are top of their group and a bonus point will will ensure they finish there.. Racing are 8th in the same group and have qualification in their own hands. Will Racing even try?

Exeter -22.5 v Castres (-26.5)
Exeter are 4th in their Pool (A) and have qualified. Castre have yet to get a point in the same pool and have only a mathematical chance of going through

Stormers -24.5 v Clermont (-15.5) opened -11.5

Stormers are 4th in pool B and should qualify even in defeat - a bonus point would ensure passage to the last 16. Clermont are 8th and at risk if they lose. I am thinking the French will send a B team

Ulster +5.5 v Sale (-5.5)

10th v 9th in Group B. Another tough one - I am frankly guessing with the cap :lol:

Montpellier -22.5 v London Irish (-20.5)
Montpellier are 7th in Pool B with Irish 11th. Irish would need a bonus point win and other results to go their way to qualify. I think Irish send a weakened team

Toulouse -16.5 v Munster (-15.5)
Toulouse are top of group B and qualified. Munster are 6th and likely to qualify even if they lose

Edinburgh +9.5 v Saracens (+5.5)
Edinburgh are 5th in Pool A and qualified. Saracens are 3rd and qualified - cap I have no idea but should be an open game

Got some pretty close and well out on others. Stormers line was biggest difference but moving closer

The following user(s) said Thank You: Brad Breath, Kirky

More
1 year 3 months ago #8 by Brent Graham
The Handicap is back tonight live at 21h00 - can't wait to get going

Click here to watch and subscribe

More
1 year 3 months ago #9 by Brent Graham
A few technical issues but great to be back on air

Stormers v Clermont betting preview

I suspect this line will continue to move out and taking the -15.5

More
1 year 3 months ago #10 by Brent Graham
Lyon v Bulls betting preview

Bulls over 21.5 at 0.82/1

Going to wait for teams before putting up a bet in the Sharks game

More
1 year 3 months ago #11 by GoGoNoNo
Hello Brent,

I can confirm that it is currently very cold in France, the Bulls match should be played with negative temperatures and as a reminder of the Lyon stadium on a synthetic lawn.
Regarding the Lyon team, the coach is fielding their best possible team for the first time in the competition.

More
1 year 3 months ago #12 by Brent Graham
Thanks man yeah I saw like a 3 degree max forecast today - a bit concerned about that Lyon team but I am hoping for an open game

More
1 year 3 months ago #13 by southpaw
Over 45.5 @ 10/11

Lyon v bulls

More
1 year 3 months ago #14 by Jameson

southpaw wrote: Over 45.5 @ 10/11

Lyon v bulls

This is going well for the Bulls, nilled at half time and 24 points down :-o

More
1 year 3 months ago #15 by GoGoNoNo
Live Bulls oves 8.5 pts 1.70

More
1 year 3 months ago #16 by Flemenstar
South African teams a complete waste of time imo, they are generally rubbish when playing away from South Africa. Bulls absolutely horrendous tonight

More
1 year 3 months ago #17 by coil
Best bet for me tomorrow is the Saints on the best plus , hoping for plus 12.5 at 4/5 .

I like Quins minus 2.5 points.

Lastly Bordeaux minus 8.5 at 4/5 .
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brent Graham

More
1 year 3 months ago #18 by Brent Graham
Bulls were awful - only consolation for me was that I dozed for most of the match

Quins v Sharks preview

Over 55.5 - line a few points higher than what I was hoping for but nothing else stands out

Running a little comp for any new Newsletter Sign Ups this weekend

To enter just sign up here bit.ly/bettingmail

Lucky Draw

Prize is R100 bet on HCC outright - I take the bet at Betway and if it wins eft stake and profits to you

The following user(s) said Thank You: coil

More
1 year 3 months ago #19 by Brent Graham
Dragons v Lions Preview

Either team by 7 or less at 23/20

Will wait for points line for Cheetahs match

More
1 year 3 months ago #20 by coil
Later games ,

I think Racing are worth a small punt on the plus 22.5 , they've been very poor but still have a decent side named .

Points Exeter is high , but found some over 38.5 at 4/5 and have had a bet .

More
1 year 3 months ago #21 by Chiefie
How the fuck does Callum Braley have a rugby career. I’ve never seen a slower rugby player in my life. Jesus wept

More
1 year 3 months ago #22 by shaft
Deon Fourie anytime @ 22/10

"No team is as good or as bad as their last game."

More
1 year 3 months ago #23 by Pablo
Someone should explain Andrea Piardi what a turnover is.

Shocking refereeing at Franklin´s Garden.

More
1 year 3 months ago #24 by Brent Graham
Leinster over 38.5 fornme - think Racing drop heads

More
1 year 3 months ago #25 by Zambusta
Two bets I really like for today:
Ulster and Sale 1st half under 2.5 tries @ evens
Double of both teams to score 3 unanswered tries for Exeter and Stormers @2.8

More
1 year 3 months ago #26 by southpaw
Over 55.5 @ 5/6 stormers Clermont

More
1 year 3 months ago #27 by southpaw

southpaw wrote: Over 55.5 @ 5/6 stormers Clermont

Giving back half of todays horse racing profits on this absolute crapfest. Worst game I’ve watched in years,

More
1 year 3 months ago #28 by coil
Exeter playing against 12 and the No 9 kicks the ball away at every opportunity , mind blowing

More
1 year 3 months ago #29 by coil
Exeter were so poor tonight , playing against 12 and 13 players for vast amounts of the game , had to sweat like a police dog after a riot for the final kick that Simmonds thankfully nailed .

More
1 year 3 months ago #30 by Brent Graham
Can't believe how poor those Stormers were in the 1st half - I had also added Stormers over 34.5 so badly needed 1 more try to land both bets which has been written off at the break

In the end both lose, its the hope that kills

Still can't find points lines for Challenge Cup games

More
1 year 3 months ago #31 by Brent Graham
Cheetahs v Pau

Couldn't wait for points any longer as have a lunch to attend - Cheetahs by 1-12 at 6/4

More
1 year 3 months ago #32 by coil
Had a decent bet on Racing last night plus 22.5 to be gutted and spat out with the final move on the match ... grrrr .

Potentially dangerous matches today , Irish pack looks ok but backs a little thin , Montpellier can blow and hot n cold , awful Mike Adamson on the whistle . One would expect points but at 55.5 might pass .

Toulouse have named a strong team and although the handicap looks high they could well cover it , instead I'm going unders at 48.5 .

Play well

Edinburgh match I like unders at 52.5 and possibly will take a small bet on the plus 6.5
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brent Graham, kt6747

More
1 year 3 months ago #33 by southpaw
Cheetahs pau over 46.5 @ 5/6

Taken this, but now I’m thinking, why is line lowish, what have I missed??

More
1 year 3 months ago - 1 year 3 months ago #34 by Jameson

southpaw wrote: Cheetahs pau over 46.5 @ 5/6

Both teams have decided to play the game with their boot laces tied together - haven't you heard?? :-P

Dragons -3 ! Their tails will be up after a win and its too cold for those Lions .... :-)

EDIT: Lions liking the cold!
Last edit: 1 year 3 months ago by Jameson.

More
1 year 3 months ago #35 by southpaw

southpaw wrote: Cheetahs pau over 46.5 @ 5/6

I thought game was in Bloem! What a fool. Am cancelling out this bet.

More
1 year 3 months ago - 1 year 3 months ago #36 by southpaw
toulouse over 31.5 @ 10/11

Need a bonus pt and win by 12 to top log. Think they go fast and hard early.
Last edit: 1 year 3 months ago by southpaw.

More
1 year 3 months ago #37 by Jameson
Well I've seen some poor games before but this Cheetahs one is right up there for the worst ever ......

More
1 year 3 months ago #38 by Brent Graham
Thank goodness I missed points lines on the Cheetahs game - would have been overs for sure

As it is the 1-12 lands with a great final kick

Saracens -5.5 my final play of the weekend